|XXVII Reserve Corps|
Flag of the Staff of a Generalkommando (1871–1918)
|Active||October 1914 - February 1919|
|Size||Approximately 32,000 (on formation)|
XXVII Reserve Corps was formed in October 1914. It was part of the first wave of new Corps formed at the outset of World War I consisting of XXII - XXVII Reserve Corps of 43rd - 54th Reserve Divisions (plus 6th Bavarian Reserve Division). The personnel was predominantly made up of kriegsfreiwillige (wartime volunteers) who did not wait to be called up. It was still in existence at the end of the war.
On formation in October 1914, XXVII Reserve Corps consisted of two divisions. but was weaker than an Active Corps
In summary, XXVII Reserve Corps mobilised with 26 infantry battalions, 10 machine gun platoons (20 machine guns), 2 cavalry detachments, 18 field artillery batteries (72 guns) and 2 pioneer companies.
|XXVII Reserve Corps||53rd Reserve Division||105th Reserve Infantry Brigade||241st Reserve Infantry Regiment|
|242nd Reserve Infantry Regiment|
|106th Reserve Infantry Brigade||243rd Reserve Infantry Regiment|
|244th Reserve Infantry Regiment|
|25th Reserve Jäger Battalion|
|53rd Reserve Field Artillery Regiment|
|53rd Reserve Cavalry Detachment|
|53rd Reserve Pioneer Company|
|54th Reserve Division||107th Reserve Infantry Brigade||245th Reserve Infantry Regiment|
|246th Reserve Infantry Regiment|
|108th Reserve Infantry Brigade||247th Reserve Infantry Regiment|
|248th Reserve Infantry Regiment|
|26th Reserve Jäger Battalion|
|54th Reserve Field Artillery Regiment|
|54th Reserve Cavalry Detachment|
|54th Reserve Pioneer Company|
Formed of Saxon and Württemberg units in the early stages of the First World War, the Corps appeared on the Western Front in Belgium in October 1914. It was assigned to the 4th Army, commanded by Generalfeldmarschall Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg, with which it participated in the First Battle of Ypres. In 1915, it took part in the Second Battle of Ypres and the Second Battle of Champagne and in 1916 in the Battle of the Somme.
In November 1916, it was transferred to the Eastern Front. In late 1917 it returned to the West, initially on border security duties on the Dutch-Belgian border, before reurning to the Flanders front in January 1918. It took part in the Spring Offensive from March 1918 and continued to be engaged on the Western Front for the remainder of the War.
The Corps was dissolved in February 1919.
|25 August 1914||Generalleutnant||Adolph von Carlowitz|
|27 October 1914||General der Artillerie||Richard von Schubert|
|28 August 1916||General der Infanterie||Oskar von Ehrenthal|
|15 June 1917||General der Kavallerie||Hans Krug von Nidda|
|8 September 1917||Generalleutnant||Bernhard von Watzdorf|