Van Veghten House
Van Veghten House, looking east, 2018
|Location||9 Van Veghten Drive|
Bridgewater, New Jersey
|Area||1 acre (0.40 ha)|
|Architectural style||Greek Revival|
|NRHP reference #||79003253|
|Added to NRHP||October 10, 1979|
|Designated NJRHP||July 21, 1979|
The Van Veghten House is a historic building in the Finderne section of Bridgewater Township, Somerset County, New Jersey. The house was built c. 1725 and served as the headquarters of Quartermaster General Nathanael Greene during the second Middlebrook encampment (1778–79) in the American Revolutionary War. The Somerset County Historical Society has the house as its headquarters, including a museum and library. The early-18th-century Old York Road, connecting Philadelphia to New York City, passed by here. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 10, 1979, and noted as representing "one of the few remaining Raritan River mansions".
In 1697, Michael Van Veghten (also spelled Van Vechten, 1663–1737) purchased 834 acres along the Raritan River near Finderne. After his first wife died, he then married Jannetje Dumont on April 2, 1691. Their son Derrick (also spelled Dirck, 1699–1781) inherited the property when Michael died in 1737.
During the second Middlebrook encampment, Derrick Van Veghten, a patriot of the American Revolution, gave Quartermaster General Nathanael Greene and his wife, Catharine Littlefield Greene, the use of the house for his headquarters and the farm for an encampment of his troops, without asking for any compensation.
a little dance at my quarters a few Evenings past. His Excellency and Mrs [Catharine] Greene danced upwards of three hours without once sitting down. Upon the whole we had a pretty little frisk.— General Nathanael Greene
On August 30, 1781, the First Brigade of the French Army, the Expédition Particulière, under command of the French general Comte de Rochambeau, marched past this house, along the route to Yorktown, Virginia. The day's march was thirteen miles (21 km) from the campground at Bullion's Tavern in Liberty Corner to the campground at Somerset Courthouse, now Millstone, New Jersey. The Second Brigade followed on August 31. The American Continental Army marched nearby along different roads as part of this joint effort.
The house is two and a half stories plus a cellar. Brownstone is used for the foundation, and the first story features Flemish bond brickwork on the south and west walls; otherwise common bond brickwork is used. Iron beam anchors, which are both functional and decorative, are visible on the south wall by the arches of brick voussoirs above the window heads. The house was renovated c. 1837 in the style of Greek Revival and features four mantelpieces of that style.
Noted as Vinvington house on the map of the day's march by Louis-Alexandre Berthier