|Died||24 April 1874 (aged 65–66)|
Ashleworth, Gloucestershire, England
|Practice||Fulljames & Waller|
|Buildings||Gloucester Court of Probate, 1858.|
|Design||Severn Barrage, 1849.|
Thomas Fulljames (1808 – 24 April 1874) was an architect active in Gloucestershire, England, in the first half of the nineteenth century. As diocesan surveyor from 1832 until 1870, latterly in partnership with Frederick Sandham Waller, he designed, reconstructed or extended a number of churches in Gloucestershire.
He is known for designing the Gloucester Court of Probate (1858) in the Gothic style. He also designed a barrage across the River Severn, which was never built. He built Foscombe house for his own use in Ashleworth, Gloucestershire, which has been classified as a grade II* heritage building.
Fulljames studied with his uncle, the surveyor Thomas Fulljames (died 1847), and with the architect Thomas Rickman. He first practised in his own name from the early 1830s and from 1846 as Fulljames & Waller after he formed a partnership in that year with Frederick Sandham Waller (1822–1895) who had been articled to him in 1839. He also taught the architect James Piers St Aubyn.
Fulljames was diocesan surveyor in Gloucestershire from 1832 until 1870, as Fulljames & Waller from 1846, and in that time they completed a great deal of church architecture in the county. Among his designs was the Church of St Luke, High Orchard (1841), St Matthew's Parish Church, Twigworth (1841–42), adding a north aisle to Hasfield (1849–50), and the reconstruction of the Church of St Lawrence, Sandhurst (1857–58), and the Church of St Mary & Corpus Christi, Down Hatherley (1859–60). After Frederick William Waller became a partner in 1868 the firm was renamed Waller & Son.
In 1849, Fulljames proposed a barrage across the River Severn from Beachley to Aust (now the site of the first Severn Bridge), a span of just over 1 mile (1.6 km). Since this was before commercial electricity production, the first proposals were based on the desire for a large shipping harbour in the Severn Estuary, road and railway transport, and flood protection.
Other projects by Fulljames in Gloucester include the rebuilding of the Squirrel Inn in Southgate Street as the Albion Hotel (1831), later known as the Albion Hall; Norfolk Buildings (1836) in Bristol Road; and the "picturesque Gothic" Gloucester Court of Probate (1858) on the corner of Pitt Street and Park Street, probably as a result of the Court of Probate Act 1857 which removed probate proceedings from the ecclesiastical to the civil courts.
Fulljames married Catherine. In the 1851 census, he was living with his wife at Hasfield and described as an "Architect & Landed Proprietor". Three relatives were living with them and the family employed seven servants. The family were still in Hasfield in 1861, employing six servants.
Fulljames died on 24 April 1874 at Foscombe in Ashleworth. His will was proved by his wife Catherine and the executors John Jackson Myers of Huyton, and James Wintle of Newnham. He left less than £12,000. There is a monument to him in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary, Hasfield.
Media related to Thomas Fulljames at Wikimedia Commons