The Finnish markka
was the currency of Finland from 1860 to 2002. The currency was divided into 100 pennies
and was first introduced by the Bank of Finland
to replace the Russian ruble
at a rate of four markkaa to one ruble. The markka was replaced by the euro
on 1 January 2002 and ceased to be legal tender on 28 February later that year.
This picture shows a 20-markka banknote issued in 1862, as part of the first issue of markka banknotes (1860 to 1862), for the Grand Duchy of Finland, then an autonomous part of the Russian Empire; 1862 was also the first year of issue for this particular denomination. The banknote's obverse depicts the coat of arms of Finland on a Russian double-headed eagle, and was personally signed by the director and the cashier of the Bank of Finland. The text on the obverse is in Swedish, whereas the reverse is primarily in Russian and Finnish.Banknote cr: Bank of Finland; photographed by Andrew Shiva