Smith Township, Mahoning County, Ohio
|• Total||32.5 sq mi (84.1 km2)|
|• Land||31.8 sq mi (82.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.7 sq mi (1.7 km2)|
|Elevation||1,079 ft (329 m)|
|• Density||142/sq mi (54.8/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086570|
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
The farthest west township in Mahoning County, it is the only township to border Stark County.
Several populated places are located in Smith Township:
Statewide, the only other Smith Township is located in Belmont County.
Smith Township was organized in March, 1821 upon the petition of Judge William Smith, in whose honor it was named. Judge William Smith was a pioneer in Mahoning County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.