Ruvo di Puglia
|Comune di Ruvo di Puglia|
|Metropolitan city||Bari (BA)|
|• Mayor||Pasquale Roberto Chieco|
|• Total||221 km2 (85 sq mi)|
|Elevation||240 m (790 ft)|
(30 June 2017)
|• Density||110/km2 (300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||Saint Blaise|
|Saint day||February 3|
Ruvo di Puglia (Italian: [ˈruːvo di ˈpuʎːa]; Ruvese: Rìuve [ˈriːuvə]) is a town and comune in the Metropolitan City of Bari, Apulia, southern Italy, that is essentially devoted to agriculture, wine and olive growing. It is part of the Murge karst landscape.
Ruvo's territory is known for its vineyards, olive groves and sowable fields, and is one of the largest in the province of Bari. Its wooded area is very interesting, with many downy oak trees (Quercus pubescens). Ruvo's territory consists of the Italian Alta Murgia National Park and shows typical elements of the Apulian karst landscape: sinkholes, karst valleys also known as "lame", among which are the upper course of Lama Balice and various caves. Two important caves are the "Grave della Ferratella" (the deepest cave in the Apulia region), and the nearby "Abisso di Notarvincenzo" (the deepest in Ruvo). They are located near the wide and green Ferratella "Lama" (valley) which must be considered as the Gate of the National Park of Alta Murgia.
The most ancient archaeological findings from the area date to the 9th century BC. The area was settled by the Peucetians. The painted Tomb of the Dancers is an important archaeological find which is evidence of their presence. In the 3rd century BC it engaged in commerce with the Greater Greece, Etruria and Greece. Under the Roman Empire it was first a military stronghold and later a municipum; then it was ruled by the Byzantines, the Saracens and the Normans. Later it was part of the county of Conversano.
After the Aragonese and French dominations it was a fief of the Carafa family, until the abolition of feudalism in 1806.
Ruvo's historic center is one of the most important historical centers in Apulia. It was destroyed three times. In Ruvo's Historic Center there are very important historic buildings such as the Cathedral, the remains of Ruvo's Castle, Palazzo Caputi, Palazzo Spada, Palazzo and Museum Jatta, Palazzo Avitaja, the Redentore Church, the Purgatory Church, the Ipogeo under the Cathedral with remains of the Paleo-Christian church and Roman Tombs, the Clock Tower, the Dante Aligheri Park, the Matteotti Square, Cavour Street, Giovanni Jatta Street, the remains of the medieval defensive walls with the towers, Vittorio Veneto Street, Cathedral Street, Madonna of Calentano Church (in the countryside, in the hamlet of Calentano).
The Cathedral is a prime example of Apulian Romanesque architecture. The façade has three portals and numerous decorations, depicting Christian symbols as well as griffins and other fantastic figures. There are two rose windows. The interior has a nave and two aisles ending with a transept. Among the numerous works of art are a wooden statue and the reliquary of Saint Blaise, a fresco portraying the Madonna and Child with St. Sebastian, a panel of the Virgin of Constantinople and a noteworthy wooden cross. Under the church are the remains of the Palaeo-Christian church and Roman tombs.
The Jatta Museum is the only Italian museum to have a private family collection dating back to 1800. It preserves to this day the antique Greek jars, and the famous jar of Talos.
The Caves of San Cleto (in Italian: le Grotte di San Cleto), under the church of Purgatory, in the old town, historic center.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ruvo di Puglia.|