Cathedral in Prabuty
|• Mayor||Bogdan Józef Pawłowski|
|• Total||7.92 km2 (3.06 sq mi)|
|Elevation||90 m (300 ft)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Area code(s)||+48 55|
In 1236, the Teutonic Knights under Henry III, Margrave of Meissen, destroyed an Old Prussian fortress between the lakes Sorgensee (jez. Dzierzgon) and Liwieniec. The town was first mentioned in 1250 as Riesenburg. The village grew around the castle and received Culm law city rights on 30 October 1330 from bishop Rudolf of Pomesania (1322–1332).
In 1451, the town council joined the Prussian Confederation that opposed the Teutonic Order, but bishop Kaspar Linke expelled the councilors and confiscated their property. After the Battle of Chojnice, in which Polish forces were defeated, the town sided with the Order again.
After the Thirteen Years' War and the Second Peace of Thorn (1466), the town became part of Ducal Prussia, although Pomesanian bishops retained their rule over the area. In 1556, a synod was held in the town.
In 1701, as part of Ducal Prussia, the town became a part of the Kingdom of Prussia and part of the newly created province of West Prussia in 1772. In 1871, the town became part of the German Empire in the framework of the Prussian-led unification of Germany. Until 1919, Riesenburg belonged to the administrative district of Regierungsbezirk Marienwerder in the Province of West Prussia.
After World War I, a referendum was held concerning the future nationality of the town, which remained part of Weimar Germany. From 1920 to 1939, Riesenburg belonged to the administrative district of Regierungsbezirk Westpreußen in the Province of East Prussia and from 1939 until 1945 to the district of Regierungsbezirk Marienwerder in the province of Reichsgau Danzig-West Prussia.
The town was captured by the Soviet Red Army in 1945 during World War II. It then became part of Poland. Most of the native East-Prussian inhabitants were expelled and replaced by Poles from regions east of the Curzon Line, in particular from the former Polish Kresy Wschodnie.