The War Portal
is a state of conflict
between relatively large groups of people (such as nations
, social groups
) which is characterized by the use of armed lethal violence
or upon civilians
. Other terms for war, which often serve as euphemisms
, include armed conflict, hostilities, and police action
A common look on war is a series of military campaigns between at least two or more opposing sides involving a dispute over sovereignty, territory, resources, ideology
or a host of other issues. A war to liberate an occupied country is sometimes characterised as a "war of liberation", while a war between internal elements of the same state is called as civil war.
Aside from humans and other primates, ants are the only other animals known to exhibit such behavior on a large scale.
A battle is a single engagement fought between two or more parties, wherein each party or aligned group will seek to defeat their opponent. Battles are most often fought during military campaigns and can usually be well defined in time, space and action. Wars are generally the continuum of a related series of battles and are guided by strategy, whereas individual battles are the stage on which tactics are employed.
Military history is the recording and analysis of those events in the history of humanity that fall within the category of organised armed conflict, and that relate to the institutions and organizations that prosecute such conflict.
Featured article -
The Finnish Civil War
was a part of the national and social turmoil caused by World War I
in Europe. The war was fought from January 27, 1918 to May 15, 1918, between the forces called the "Reds" led by the People's Deputation of Finland
under the control of the Finnish Social Democrats
, and the forces called the "Whites", led by the Senate of Vaasa
representing the Senate of Finland
formed by the bourgeois parties. The defeat in World War I and the February
and October revolutions
in 1917 caused a total collapse of the Russian Empire
; and the destruction of the mother country resulted in a corresponding breakdown of Finnish society during 1917. As there were no generally accepted police and army forces to keep order in Finland after March 1917, the left and right began building security groups of their own, leading to the emergence of two independent armed military troops, the White
and Red Guards
. The Whites were the victors in the war that followed. The Civil War remains the most controversial and emotionally loaded event in the history of modern Finland. Approximately 37,000 people died during the conflict, including casualties at the war fronts, and deaths from political terror
campaigns and high prison camp mortality. The turmoil destroyed the economy, split the political apparatus, and divided the Finnish nation for many years.
Selected conflict -
Major topics and categories
Did you know...? -
Featured picture -
The following are images from various war-related articles on Wikipedia.
Illustration of an "eruptor," a proto-cannon, capable of firing cast-iron bombs filled with gunpowder, from the 14th century Ming Dynasty book Huolongjing
Selection of weapons collected by security officers at an airport
War-damaged buildings in Beirut
The Vickers was the successor to the Maxim gun and remained in British military service for 79 consecutive years.
Infantry were the first military forces in history. This warrior statuette demonstrates that military culture was an important part of historical societies, c.480 BC, Staatliche Antikensammlungen.
Other Wikimedia projects
Things you can do
|Summary of Military history WikiProject open tasks|
watch · · full list
- News and announcements
- The April newsletter is now available.
- The Wikipedia:SOLDIER notability essay has been deprecated, and should no longer be used in discussions of notability at AfD and elsewhere.
- Editors are advised that Featured Articles promoted before 2016 are in need of review, if you had an article promoted to Featured status on or before 2016 please check and update your article before they are listed at FAR/C.
- Current discussions
- No major discussions are open at the moment
- Featured article candidates
- Lisa Nowak • Armenian Genocide denial • Battle of Heraklion • SMS Nymphe (1863) • Tecumseh • National Union of Freedom Fighters • Fort Concho • Project Emily • Battle of Saseno • Battle of Dupplin Moor • London and North Western Railway War Memorial • Nichols's Missouri Cavalry Regiment
- Featured article review
- British Empire • Paul Kagame • Military history of Puerto Rico • British anti-invasion preparations of the Second World War • Sviatoslav I • William Tecumseh Sherman
- Featured list candidates
- List of orders of battle for the British 2nd Division
- A-Class review
- Uganda–Tanzania War • Shuttle-Centaur • Nazis and Nazi Collaborators (Punishment) Law • Second Battle of Newtonia • Tito–Stalin split • List of protected cruisers of France • List of commanders of the British 2nd Division • H2S (radar) • Edgar Kain • French battleship Liberté • Donough MacCarty, 1st Earl of Clancarty • Broad front versus narrow front controversy in World War II • Chilean cruiser Esmeralda (1883) • 12th (Eastern) Infantry Division • 2nd Infantry Division (United Kingdom) • Final Offensive of 1981 • 13th Missouri Cavalry Regiment (Confederate) • Second Battle of Independence • List of British divisions in World War II • 20th Battalion (New Zealand)
- Peer reviews
- Kronstadt rebellion • Deutschland-class battleship • Third Battle of Winchester • Project A119 • Régiment d'Armagnac
- Good article nominees
- Kaharuddin Nasution • Peroz I • Pete Buttigieg • John Rinehart Blue • Arsenal VG 70 • Allied logistics in the Southern France campaign • Arsenal VG 90 • 2020 Salvadoran political crisis • Massacre of Thessalonica • Armenian Genocide • Fakhr al-Mulk Ridwan • 46th Infantry Division (United Kingdom) • Pemon conflict • Abdallah Nasur • Irtash • Stjepan Vukčić Kosača • MS Europic Ferry • Siege of Gvozdansko • Miloš Trifunović (politician) • Frederick the Great • HMS Triton (1796) • Crusader states • Freddie de Guingand
- Good article reassessments
- Home Army • Idi Amin
Articles that need... work on referencing and citation (113,088) • only work on referencing and citation (36,671) • work on coverage and accuracy (88,094) • only work on coverage and accuracy (12,830) • work on structure (23,177) • only work on structure (166) • work on grammar (7,290) • only work on grammar (22) • work on supporting materials (25,484) • only work on supporting materials (1,383) • assessment (11) • assessment as lists (2) • project tags fixed (169) • assessment checklists added (20) • assessment checklists completed (0) • attention to task force coverage (694)