This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Palacio de la Exposición is a building located on Colon avenue in downtown Lima, Peru. It was constructed in the 19th century together with the Park of the Exposition to house the International Exposition of Lima in 1872. Since 1957, it has been home to the Museum of Art of Lima.
The building was constructed in unison with the Park of the Exposition and was ordered built by president Jose Balta in 1869 for the international exposition that was to take place in Lima in celebration for the fifty years of Peruvian independence. The construction of the building took place between 1870 and 1871. The building is of a neo-renaissance style and was designed by the Italian architect Antonio Leonardi.
Its design was considered a pioneer of its time in South America as it was one of the few buildings constructed of steel.
In July 1872, both the palace and the park were inaugurated and the exposition took place soon after. After said event, the palace was home to the Society of Fine Arts. During the War of the Pacific the building was used as a hospital and later a garrison for the Chilean army.
In 1889, the Peruvian government ceded the building to the Municipality of Lima. In 1905, the building became home to the National Museum of History and the Ministry of Public Works. Later, throughout different time periods, it was used by the Chamber of Deputies, the Direction of Traffic, the Ministry of Agriculture, and the Municipality of Lima.
In 1954, the Municipality of Lima ceded the building to the Patrons of the Arts civil association for refactioning and remodeling to convert it into an art museum. The Museum of Art of Lima, Museo de Arte de Lima, was inaugurated in 1957 while its official inauguration took place in 1961.