October is the tenth month of the year in the Julian and Gregorian Calendars and the sixth of seven months to have a length of 31 days. The eighth month in the old calendar of Romulus c. 750 BC, October retained its name (from the Latin and Greek ôctō meaning "eight") after January and February were inserted into the calendar that had originally been created by the Romans. In Ancient Rome, one of three Mundus patet would take place on October 5, Mrinalia October 11, Augustalia on October 12, October Horse on October 15, and Armilustrium on October 19. These dates do not correspond to the modern Gregorian calendar. Among the Anglo-Saxons, it was known as Ƿinterfylleþ, because at this full moon (fylleþ) winter was supposed to begin.
October is commonly associated with the season of autumn in the Northern hemisphere and with spring in the Southern hemisphere.
This list does not necessarily imply either official status or general observance.
Non-Gregorian observances: 2020 dates
(All Baha'i, Islamic, and Jewish observances begin at the sundown prior to the date listed, and end at sundown of the date in question unless otherwise noted.)
The last two to three weeks in October (and, occasionally, the first week of November) are the only time of the year during which all of the "Big Four" major professional sports leagues in the U.S. and Canada schedule games; the National Basketball Association begins its preseason and about two weeks later starts the regular season, the National Hockey League is about one month into its regular season, the National Football League is about halfway through its regular season, and Major League Baseball is in its postseason with the League Championship Series and World Series. There have been 19 occasions in which all four leagues have played games on the same day (an occurrence popularly termed a "sports equinox"), with the most recent of these taking place on October 27, 2019. Additionally, the Canadian Football League is typically nearing the end of its regular season during this period, while Major League Soccer is beginning the MLS Cup Playoffs.
United States, Culinary
Movable observances, 2020 dates
First Thursday: October 1
First Friday: October 2
First Sunday: October 4
First Full Week: October 4–10
Week of October 9: October 4–10
Week of October 10: October 4–10
First Monday: October 5
First Tuesday: October 6
First Wednesday: October 7
Second Thursday: October 8
Second Friday: October 9
Second Saturday: October 10
Second Sunday: October 11
Second Monday: October 12
Second Tuesday: October 13
Second Wednesday: October 14
Wednesday of second full week in October: October 14
Third Thursday: October 15
Third Saturday: October 17
Third Sunday: October 18
Third Monday: October 19
Fourth Saturday: October 24
Last Sunday: October 25
Week of Fourth Wednesday: October 25–31
Fourth Monday: October 26
Last Monday: October 26
Fourth Wednesday: October 28
Last Friday: October 30
||Wikiquote has quotations related to: October|
||Look up October in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to October.|
- ^ Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press..
- ^ "Gemstone Leaflet" (PDF). Jewelers of America. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-02-22. Retrieved Jan 22, 2012.
- ^ SHG Resources. "Birth Months, Flowers, and Gemstones". SHG Resources. Archived from the original on 2012-09-11. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ The Earth passes the junction of the signs at 22:59 UT/GMT October 22, 2020, and will pass it again at 04:51 UT/GMT October 23, 2021.
- ^ "Astrology Calendar", yourzodiacsign. Signs in UT/GMT for 1950–2030.
- ^ "To Benjamin Franklin from Alexandre Pochard, 11 October 1776".
Montreal Le 11 8bre. 1776.
- ^ "CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Special Devotions For Months". Newadvent.org. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- ^ "Health Literacy Month – Finding the Right Words for Better Health". www.healthliteracymonth.org.
- ^ "SDMS Medical Ultrasound Awareness Month". www.sdms.org.
- ^ "Home - Rettsyndrome.org". www.rettsyndrome.org. Archived from the original on 2016-10-10. Retrieved 2016-10-07.
- ^  Archived February 8, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- ^ Hultin G. Why Celebrate Vegetarian Awareness Month? Food & Nutrition, October 7, 2014, Accessed November 14, 2018
- ^ Vegetarian Awareness Month: Celebrating Meatless Mindfulness, Oldways website, September 28, 2017, Accessed November 14, 2018
- ^ World Vegetarian Day, October 1. North American Vegetarian Society (the North American WVD sponsor explains that “World Vegetarian Day [on] October 1st is the annual kick-off of Vegetarian Awareness Month”, accessed November 14, 2018
- ^ Palmer S. World Vegetarian Awareness Month. Vegan Outreach website, October 2, 2017, Accessed November 14, 2018
- ^ October is National Vegetarian Awareness Month. Fix.com. October 1, 2014, Accessed November 14, 2018
- ^ Celebrate Vegetarian Awareness Month. Fruits & Veggies: More Matters. Monday, October 14, 2013, at 4:00 am. Accessed November 14, 2018
- ^ Gerber J. 9 Easy Wasys to Celebrate Vegetarian Awareness Month. Care2. October 1, 2012. Accessed November 14, 2018
- ^ "Which games to pick for Sunday's 'Sports Equinox'". ESPN.com. October 27, 2019. Retrieved October 27, 2019.
- ^ "American Archives Month". National Archives. 2017-06-22. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- ^ "October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month". ASPCA. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- ^ http://www.staysafeonline.info/content/about-ncsam Archived October 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- ^ "American Pharmacists Month 2011". Pharmacist.com. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ "Little People of America".
- ^ "Eczema Awareness Month – National Eczema Association". National Eczema Association.
- ^ "ADHA – October is National Dental Hygiene Month". Adha.org. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ "Healthy Lung Month – Lung problems". 5 October 2012.
- ^ "Observing Infertility Awareness Month". Library.adoption.com. Archived from the original on 2008-08-28. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ "Liver Awareness Month". www.liverfoundation.org.
- ^  Archived November 21, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- ^ APTA | National Physical Therapy Month Archived January 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- ^ "Spina Bifida Association – Spina Bifida Association". Sbaa.org. Archived from the original on 2007-10-14. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ "October is SIDS Awareness Month". www.nichd.nih.gov.
- ^ "National Pizza Month". Pizza.com. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- ^ "Popcorn Poppin' Month". Popcorn.org. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- ^ "October is National Pork Month". ThePigSite. 2007-10-02.
- ^ "NOAA Fisheries Celebrates National Seafood Month". NOAA.gov. 2017-10-01. Retrieved 2017-10-09.
- ^ "Diversity – UMUC". www.umuc.edu.