October is the tenth month of the year in the Julian and Gregorian Calendars and the sixth of seven months to have a length of 31 days. The eighth month in the old Roman calendar, October retained its name (from the Latin ôctō meaning "eight") after January and February were inserted into the calendar that had originally been created by the Romans. In Ancient Rome, one of three Mundus patet would take place on October 5, Mrinalia October 11, Augustalia on October 12, October Horse on October 15, and Armilustrium on October 19. These dates do not correspond to the modern Gregorian calendar. Among the Anglo-Saxons, it was known as Winterfylleth, because at this full moon (fylleth) winter was supposed to begin.
October is commonly associated with the season of autumn in the Northern hemisphere and with spring in the Southern hemisphere.
This list does not necessarily imply either official status or general observance.
Non-Gregorian observances: 2018 dates
(Please note that all Baha'i, Islamic, and Jewish observances begin at sundown prior to the date listed, and end at sundown of the date in question unless otherwise noted.)
The last two to three weeks in October (and, occasionally, the first week of November) are the only time of the year during which each of the "Big Four" major North American professional sports leagues schedule games; the National Basketball Association begins its preseason and about two weeks later starts the regular season, the National Hockey League is about one month into its regular season, the National Football League is about halfway through its regular season, and Major League Baseball is in its postseason with the League Championship Series and World Series. There have been 17 occasions in which all four leagues have played games on the same day (an occurrence popularly termed a "sports equinox"), with the most recent of these having taken place on October 19, 2017. Additionally, the Canadian Football League is typically nearing the end of its regular season during this period, while Major League Soccer is beginning the MLS Cup Playoffs.
United States, Culinary
Movable observances, 2018 dates
First Full Week
Week of October 9
Week of October 10
Wednesday of second full week in October
Friday falling on 13th
Week of Fourth Wednesday
Second to last Sunday
Saturday closest to October 26
October Star Stones:
- Libra (Sept. 22 to Oct. 24)
Planetary Stone: Sapphire;
Lucky Charms: Opal, Sardonyx, Chrysolite;
birthstone: pink Tourmaline, Opal
Planetary Stone: Garnet, Ruby;
Lucky Charms: Aquamarine, Beryl
- October Lokesh birthstone is roser.
- October Mystical birthstone is Jasper.
- October Ayurvedic Birthstone is Opal.
||Wikiquote has quotations related to: October|
||Look up October in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to October.|
- ^ Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "October". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- ^ "CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Special Devotions For Months". Newadvent.org. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- ^ "Health Literacy Month – Finding the Right Words for Better Health". www.healthliteracymonth.org.
- ^ "SDMS Medical Ultrasound Awareness Month". www.sdms.org.
- ^ "Home - Rettsyndrome.org". www.rettsyndrome.org.
- ^  Archived February 8, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- ^ Rapaport, Daniel (October 19, 2017). "Today Might Be the Best Sports Day of the Year". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- ^ "October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month". ASPCA. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- ^ http://www.staysafeonline.info/content/about-ncsam Archived October 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- ^ "American Pharmacists Month 2011". Pharmacist.com. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ "Little People of America".
- ^ "Eczema Awareness Month – National Eczema Association". National Eczema Association.
- ^ "ADHA – October is National Dental Hygiene Month". Adha.org. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ "Healthy Lung Month – Lung problems". 5 October 2012.
- ^ "Observing Infertility Awareness Month". Library.adoption.com. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ "Liver Awareness Month". www.liverfoundation.org.
- ^  Archived November 21, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- ^ APTA | National Physical Therapy Month Archived January 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- ^ "Spina Bifida Association – Spina Bifida Association". Sbaa.org. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ "October is SIDS Awareness Month". www.nichd.nih.gov.
- ^ "National Pizza Month". Pizza.com. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- ^ "Popcorn Poppin' Month". Popcorn.org. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- ^ "October is National Pork Month". ThePigSite. 2007-10-02.
- ^ "NOAA Fisheries Celebrates National Seafood Month". NOAA.gov. 2017-10-01. Retrieved 2017-10-09.
- ^ "National Astronomy Day 2018".
- ^ "Diversity – UMUC". www.umuc.edu.
- ^ "Gemstone Leaflet" (PDF). Jewelers of America. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-02-22. Retrieved Jan 22, 2012.
- ^ SHG Resources. "Birth Months, Flowers, and Gemstones". SHG Resources. Retrieved 2011-11-01.