Merrick station as seen from Sunrise Highway.
|Location||Sunrise Highway between Hewlett & Merrick Avenues|
Merrick, New York
|Owned by||Long Island Rail Road|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Rebuilt||1885, 1902, 1969–1975|
|Electrified||May 20, 1925|
750 V (DC) third rail
Merrick is a station on the Babylon Branch of the Long Island Rail Road. It is officially located on Sunrise Highway, between Hewlett Avenue and Merrick Avenue, in Merrick, New York. However, the parking areas for the station expand well beyond the given location.
Merrick station is typical of the elevated Babylon Branch stations that were rebuilt during the mid-to-late 20th Century. What's not so typical are its origins. The station was originally built on October 28, 1867 by the South Side Railroad of Long Island, but in 1869, it was expanded into a hotel built by SSRRLI President Charles Fox. This hotel was burned to the ground in 1908. A second depot was built in 1885 and a third was built in 1902. The station was razed in June 1969 as part of the grade elimination project. A temporary station was installed on December 4, 1970, but the elevated fourth station wasn't opened until June 28, 1975.
This station has one 12-car-long high-level island platform serving trains in both directions. A 10-car-long awning exists, with the easternmost part of the platform uncovered. The rail line has two tracks at this location. Each Fall, this railroad station, like Bellmore station plays host to a Street Festival/Fair courtesy of Merrick Chamber of Commerce. t
|Track 1||← Babylon Branch toward Atlantic Terminal, Hunterspoint Avenue or Penn Station (Freeport)|
← Montauk Branch does not stop here
|Island platform, doors will open on the left|
|Track 2||Babylon Branch toward Babylon (Bellmore) → |
Montauk Branch does not stop here →
|G||Ground level||Entrance/exit, parking, buses|