This table details the steam locomotives of the Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0ST class that have been preserved on heritage railways. Of the 485 'Austerities' constructed, around 70 have survived into preservation.
Although the Hunslet Engine Company were responsible for the design, not all of these locomotives were built by the company. In order to meet wartime demand, Hunslet subcontracted some of the construction to Andrew Barclay Sons & Co., W. G. Bagnall, Hudswell Clarke, Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns and the Vulcan Foundry.
Several have been painted as LNER Class J94s to represent mainline rather than industrial use. Not all have survived intact; the boiler of RSH 7135 of 1944 was used on the replica Broad gauge locomotive "Iron Duke" built in 1985. One has been turned into a Thomas the Tank Engine lookalike, and another into one of Douglas, also from The Railway Series.
The Scottish Railway Preservation Society have formed an Austerity Locomotive Owners Association (A.L.O.A.) with the aim of being a central point for owners of Austerity locomotives to share information and assistance.
This section needs to be updated.November 2017)(
|Original User||Current Number and Name||Current Location||Status||Livery||Notes|
|1943||Hudswell Clarke||1752||War Department 75091, National Coal Board Bold Colliery 7 Robert||68067 Robert||Great Central Railway||BR black, with "cycling lion" crest, smokebox number plate and 40E shed code|
|1945||Barclay||2183||War Department 71529,
EG Steels of Hamilton
|Wemyss Private Railway
15 Earl David
|Vale of Berkeley Railway||WPR lined brown|
|1943||Hunslet||2857||War Department 75008||75008 Swiftsure||Mid-Norfolk Railway||Operational||Longmoor Military Railway Prussian blue|
|1943||Hunslet||2864||War Department 75015||48||Aln Valley Railway|
|1943||RSH||7098||Ministry of Fuel & Power, Coalville, Leicestershire
NCB (North East Area) - Backworth
|49||Tanfield Railway||Lined green|
|1943||Hunslet||2880||War Department 75031,
|17||SRPS at Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway||
Bought by NCB in 1961 and used at Polkemmet Colliery, West Lothian.
3882 (as rebuilt)
|War Department 75041
|10 Douglas||Great Central Railway (Nottingham)||NWR black|
In 2000, converted to an 0-6-0 tender engine as No. 10 Douglas from Thomas the Tank Engine.
|1943||RSH||7086||War Department 75050||69 Norman||Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway||NCB black|
|1943||RSH||7097||War Department 75061||9||Strathspey Railway|||
|1943||Hunslet||2873||War Department 75024||NS 8811||Stoom Stichting Nederland, Rotterdam, Netherlands|
Sold directly from WD to Laura colliery, Eygelshoven (NL) in 1945, numbered 'Laura 12' (later LV 12). Oou 1967. Then the boiler of LV 13, before 1962 known as 'Julia IV' (ex NS 8811, ex WD 75080), was placed on the frame of LV 12 (ex WD 75024). The colliery numbered its locomotives after their boilers and not after the framenumbers (as practiced by WD and most railway compagnies). So this means the loco became LV 13 after its boiler. Went out of service after colliery closed in 1974. Was still under steam in 1975 when cleaning up the remains of the colliery. Giving this locomotive the status of last operational steam enginge in The Netherlands. Stored in the former locomotive shed until discovery in 1981. Operates today with a new boiler (RAW Görlitz 20/1995) on the LV 12 frame (WD 75024). NS numbering follows the frame. So this never was a NS engine. The NS-number 8811 is fictional but fun.
|1944||W.G.Bagnall||2758||War Department 75170||Cefn Coed Colliery Museum, Crynant|
|1944||Hudswell Clarke||1776||War Department 71499,
|Harry||Horwich, Lancashire||Under overhaul at Bryn Engineering, Wigan.|
|1944||Hunslet||3155||War Department 75105||Walkden||Ribble Steam Railway||Sold on to Nederlandse Spoorwegen (No. 8815) after the war. Sold to Laura colliery, Eygelshoven (NL) in 1953 as Laura 16, renumbered as LV 16 in 1962. Boiler exam expired in 1970, received the boiler from LV 15 (Hudswell C. 1739/1943) Sold to SSTT in 1975. Sold to P.E. Waters Associates Railway Engineers in 1988.|
|1944||Hunslet||3163||War Department 75113,
|WD 132 Sapper||Avon Valley Railway||WD green|
|1944||Hunslet||3165||War Department 75115||NS 8826||Zuid-Limburgse Stoomtrein Maatschappij, Limburg, Netherlands||Sold on to Nederlandse Spoorwegen (No. 8826) after the war. Sold to Julia colliery, Eygelshoven (NL) in 1953 as 'Julia V', renumbered as LV 14 in 1962. Went out of service after boiler ticket expired in 1973|
|1944||Hunslet||3168||War Department 75118,
|Wheldale||Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway||Lined maroon|
|1944||Hunslet||3180||War Department 75130||Antwerp||Private site, Sellindge||Red|
|1944||Hunslet||3193||War Department 75142,
|Norfolk Regiment||Bressingham Steam and Gardens||Black|
|1944||RSH||7136||War Department 75186
|68013 Royal Pioneer||Peak Rail|
|1944||RSH||7139||War Department 75189,
N.C.B. No. 8
|WD 152 Rennes||Dean Forest Railway||Longmoor Military Railway Prussian blue|
Sold to NCB post war.
|1944||RSH||7169||War Department 71515||71515||Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway||Indian red - Mech Navvies livery|
Sold to NCB post war and used at Swalwell. Converted at East Somerset Railway to resemble J94.Then to Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway as 68005 Overhauled at the Flour Mill in the Forest of Dean and returned to service in private ownership at Blaenavon in 2010.
|1944||RSH||7170||War Department 71516||Welsh Guardsman||Severn Valley Railway||Lined black|||
|1944||Hunslet||2868 (rebuilt as 3883 of 1963)||War Department 75019
|68012 Lord Phil||Epping Ongar Railway||Lined green|||
|1945||Hudswell Clarke||1782||War Department 71505,
|LMR 118 Brussels||Keighley and Worth Valley Railway||Longmoor Military Railway Prussian blue|
Originally preserved by the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway from the Longmoor Military Railway.
|1945||W.G.Bagnall||2777||War Department 75254,
|Alloa Area No. 7||SRPS at Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway||Sold to NCB in 1963.|
|1945||W.G.Bagnall||2779||War Department 75256||No 2779 Gamma||Tanfield Railway||Black lined red||Spent time working at: Longmoor Military Railway (1945), Brandon C Colliery outside Durham (1946), Vane Tempest Colliery at Seaham (1967) and appeared repainted as 2502/7 in the Stockton and Darlington Railway 150th Anniversary at Shildon (1975). fefore being bought and operated as sister locomotive Bowes No 20 at the Tanfield Railway whilst on loan to Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway until 1993 when she continued operating at Tanfield.|
|1945||Hunslet||3207||WD 157 Constantine||One of two Austerities, with Errol Lonsdale, used in the filming of The Great St Trinian's Train Robbery in 1966, it was mocked up with side tanks to resemble a J50 and temporarily renumbered 68961. Scrapped in 1968 by Pollock Brown at Southampton.|
|1945||Vulcan Foundry||5272||War Department 75282,
WD 181 Insein
|Haulwen||Gwili Railway||Lined green|
Rebuilt in 1961 by Hunslet (works number 3879).
|1945||Vulcan Foundry||5309||War Department 75319||68072||Peak Rail||Sold to NCB after World War II, numbered 72, returned to service in April 2013 at Llangollen Railway, from 2015 at Mangapps railway museum.|
|1945||RSH||7289||War Department 71480
From 1946 with National Coal Board (North Western) at Walkden and Leigh collieries
|Fred||Tyseley Locomotive Works (at 2003)||Preserved at the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway from 1969 Now part of the Somerset & Dorset Locomotive Collection and relocated to Tyseley In 1963, this was one of the Austerities fitted with the Porta / Hunslet Gas Producer Combustion System and underfed stoker. Although the stoker had fallen from use by the time of its preservation, the firebox and Kylpor ejector with its distinctive 'Sontaran' chimney are one of the few Austerities so-fitted to survive(also ) and the only example in relatively complete condition.|
|1946||Barclay||2212||War Department 71463
|68078||Private site, Sellindge||BR black|
|1947||Barclay||2215||War Department 71466
LNER 8077 working at Immingham Docks, then NCB no.14 in 1962
|68077||Spa Valley Railway||Unknown||Originally preserved by the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway in 1971 where tested and withdrawn, due for fitting of vacuum brakes and steam heat. On loan to the Spa Valley Railway for overhaul in 2005|
|1948||Hunslet||3686||National Coal Board||60||Aln Valley Railway||NCB black|
|1950||Hunslet||3694||National Coal Board||Whiston||Foxfield Railway||Lined green NCB|||
|1950||Hunslet||3696||National Coal Board||Respite||Ribble Steam Railway|||
|1950||Hunslet||3698||National Coal Board||Repulse||Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway|
|1952||Hunslet||3770||National Coal Board||Norma||Cambrian Heritage Railways||Rust|
|1952||Hunslet||3776||National Coal Board||8 Warspite||Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway|||
|1952||Hunslet||3777||National Coal Board||68030 Josiah Wedgwood||Churnet Valley Railway||BR black|
|1952||Hunslet||3781||National Coal Board||1 "Thomas"||Mid Hants Railway||NWR blue|
Converted from a saddle-tank to side-tank design to create No. 1 "Thomas" in 1994
|1953||Hunslet||3785||National Coal Board||69||North Tyneside Steam Railway|
|1953||Hunslet||3788||National Coal Board||Monckton No.1||Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway|
|1953||Hunslet||3790||War Department 190||190||Colne Valley Railway||Army olive green|||
|1953||Hunslet||3791||War Department 191 Black Knight||23 Holman F Stephens||Kent & East Sussex Railway||Lined olive green|
Withdrawn in August 1968. Sold out of Army service, arrived on K&ESR in February 1972.
|1953||Hunslet||3792||War Department 192 Waggoner||WD 92 Waggoner||Isle of Wight Steam Railway||Longmoor Military Railway Prussian blue|
Moved to the Isle of Wight on loan from the National Army Museum in 2005: ownership transferred to IOWSR in 2008.
|1953||Hunslet||3793||War Department 193||Shropshire||Ribble Steam Railway|
Named at the Severn Valley Railway in 1977.
|1953||Hunslet||3794||War Department 194||10 Cumbria||Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway||Furness Railway Indian Red|
|1953||Hunslet||3796||War Department 196 Errol Lonsdale||68011 Errol Lonsdale||Stoomcentrum Maldegem||Operational||Black, After restoration WD green (2016)|
Initially preserved on the Kent & East Sussex Railway from the Longmoor Military Railway, where it was used in the filming of The Great St Trinian's Train Robbery in 1966. Moved to the Mid Hants Railway prior to 1977, and then to the South Devon Railway in 1992. Sold in 2009 to unnamed private buyer
|1953||Hunslet||3797||War Department 197 Sapper||25 Northiam||Kent & East Sussex Railway||Blue||Arrived on K&ESR in September 1977.|
|1953||Hunslet||3798||War Department 198 Royal Engineer||WD 198 Royal Engineer||Isle of Wight Steam Railway||WD green|
Moved to the Isle of Wight on loan from the National Army Museum in 1991: ownership transferred to IOWSR in 2008. 
|1953||Hunslet||3800||War Department 200||200||Colne Valley Railway|||
|1953||Hunslet||3806||National Coal Board||Wilbert||Dean Forest Railway|
|1953||Hunslet||3809||National Coal Board||Great Central Railway|
|1954||Hunslet||3810||National Coal Board||Glendower||South Devon Railway|||
|1954||Hunslet||3818||National Coal Board||East Fife Area No. 19||SRPS at Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway||Green|
Previously carried spurious BR Livery and number 68019.
|1954||Hunslet||3823||National Coal Board||Warrior||Dean Forest Railway|||
|1955||Hunslet||3825||National Coal Board||"LNER 8009"||Stainmore Railway Company at Kirkby Stephen East||Delivered to Betteshanger Colliery, Kent in 1954. Sold into preservation at the Great Central Railway in November 1981, sold to North Norfolk Railway1993. Bought by two Stainmore Railway Company directors in 2004, then spot-hired. Now back at Kirkby Stephen East, awaiting restoration.|
|1955||Hunslet||3829||National Coal Board||Gwili Railway|||
|1955||Hunslet||3837||National Coal Board||5||SRPS at Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway||Used at Michael and Comrie Collieries in Scotland.|
|1956||Hunslet||3839||National Coal Board||Wimblebury||Foxfield Railway||Unlined blue with NCB lettering|||
|1956||Hunslet||3840||National Coal Board||Pamela||Garw Valley Railway|
Originally worked out of Maesteg and St John's Washery, Llynvi Valley. Previously in the possession of the Vale of Glamorgan Railway (now defunct), before being loaned to the Lincolnshire Wold Railway. Ownership transferred to Garw Valley Railway in 2012.
|1956||Hunslet||3844||NCB||United Steel Company No.22||Appleby Frodingham Railway||Lined maroon|
On loan from the Appleby Frodingham Railway
|1958||Hunslet||3850||Ironstone Quarry Railways||Juno||Isle of Wight Steam Railway||Green|
|1962||Hunslet||3882||NCB||Rebuilding of 2890 with gas producer combustion system|
|1964||Hunslet||3889||NCB||65||Dean Forest Railway||Departmental yellow||Formerly at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre. Moved to Rutland in 1989 and to Dean Forest 2015.|
|1964||Hunslet||3890||NCB||66||Buckinghamshire Railway Centre||Green|
Last Hunslet Austerity built. in 1964. Boiler ticket expires in 2024.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0ST (preserved).|