Kitney Island

Kitney Island
Kitney Island is located in Antarctica
Kitney Island
Kitney Island
Location in Antarctica
Geography
LocationAntarctica
Coordinates67°31′S 63°4′E / 67.517°S 63.067°E / -67.517; 63.067Coordinates: 67°31′S 63°4′E / 67.517°S 63.067°E / -67.517; 63.067
Administration
Administered under the Antarctic Treaty System
Demographics
PopulationUninhabited

Kitney Island is a small island 2 kilometres (1 nmi) east-northeast of the Smith Rocks, 2 kilometres (1 nmi) southwest of the Wiltshire Rocks, and 5 kilometres (2.5 nmi) northwest of the Paterson Islands, off the coast of Mac. Robertson Land, Antarctica. The Lars Christensen Expion (1936) first mapped this island which, though left unnamed, was included in a small group named by them "Spjotoyskjera" (now the Wiltshire Rocks). It was remapped by the Australian National Antarctic Research Expion (ANARE) in 1956, and was named by the Antarctic Names Committee of Australia for V.J. Kitney, a supervising technician (radio) at Mawson Station in 1968.[1]

See also[]

References[]

  1. ^ "Kitney Island". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2013-05-08.

Public Domain This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Geological Survey document: "Kitney Island". (content from the Geographic Names Information System)