Khost Province


U.S. soldiers in Khost province (June 2013)
U.S. soldiers in Khost province (June 2013)
Map of Afghanistan with Khost highlighted
Map of Afghanistan with Khost highlighted
Coordinates (Capital): 33°24′N 69°54′E / 33.4°N 69.9°E / 33.4; 69.9Coordinates: 33°24′N 69°54′E / 33.4°N 69.9°E / 33.4; 69.9
Country Afghanistan
 • GovernorHukam Khan Habibi
 • Total4,151.5 km2 (1,602.9 sq mi)
 • Total574,582
 • Density140/km2 (360/sq mi)
Time zoneUTC+4:30
Area code(s)AF-KHO
Main languagesPashto

Khost (Pashto: خوست‎, Persian: خوست‎) is one of the 34 provinces of Afghanistan, located in the eastern part of the country. To the east, Khost Province is bordered by Waziristan and Kurram in Pakistan. Khost Province used to be part of Paktia Province in the past, and the larger region surrounding Khost is still called Loya Paktia ("Greater Paktia"). The city of Khost serves as the capital of Khost province. The population of the province is around 546,800,[2] which is mostly a tribal society. Khost Airport serves the province for domestic flights to Afghanistan's capital, Kabul.


Part of a series on the
History of Afghanistan
Minaret of jam 2009 ghor.jpg
Associated Historical Regions

In 1924, Khost Province, Then known as Southern Province, was the scene of a rebellion by the Mangal Pashtun Tribe, known as the Khost rebellion. The rebellion was ultimately unsuccessful, and was defeated in 1925 by the Afghan Government.

Recent history[]

In September 2011, work on the construction of Khost International Airport began. It is estimated the airport will cost $2.5 million. The funds for the project are being provided by the Afghan government. The airport will be located in a desert between Ismailkhel and Tani District.[3][4]

Politics and governance[]

The current governor of the Province is Abdul Jabbar Naeemi.[5] The city of Khost is the capital of Khost province. All law enforcement activities throughout the province are controlled by the Afghan National Police (ANP). The border of Afghanistan's Khost province with neighboring Pakistan's FATA is monitored and protected by the Afghan Border Police (ABP), which is part of the ANP. The border is called the Durand Line and is known to be one of the most dangerous in the world due to heavy militant activities and illegal smugglings. A provincial police chief is assigned to lead both the ANP and ABP. The police chief represents the Ministry of the Interior in Kabul. The ANP is backed by other Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF), including the NATO-led forces.


The percentage of households with clean drinking water increased from 34% in 2005 to 35% in 2011.[6] The percentage of births attended to by a skilled birth attendant increased from 18% in 2005 to 32% in 2011.[6]


The overall literacy rate (6+ years of age) fell from 28% in 2005 to 15% in 2011.[6] The overall net enrolment rate (6–13 years of age) fell from 38% in 2005 to 37% in 2011.[6]


Districts of Khost (not showing the Shamal District)

The population of Khost province is around 546,800.[2] The Pashtun people make up 99% of the population, with the remaining 1% being Tajiks and others.[5]


Districts of Khost province
District Capital Population (2015) Area[7] Notes
Bak 22,561
Gurbuz 26,762
Zazi Maidan 23,197
Khost Matun Khost 140,642
Mandozayi Dadwal 89,602
Musakhel 41,882
Nadir Shah Kot 32,522
Qalandar 10,440
Sabari Yakubi 72,364
Shamal 13,920 Shifted from Paktia Province in 2005
Spera 24,841
Tani Tani 60,842
Tirazayi Aliser 45,602


Khost Province is traversed by the Kurram River, which rises from the Rokian Defile, passes through the district, and then enters the "country of the Turis or the Kurram Valley".[8]


Mosque in the city of Khost
Pashtun children
A U.S. Marine, assigned to Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, provides security while in the Khowst-Gardez Pass.
Khost city
Tanio area

See also[]


  1. ^ Afghanistan at GeoHive Archived 2015-07-21 at the Wayback Machine
  2. ^ a b "Settled Population of Khost province by Civil Division, Urban, Rural and Sex-2012-13" (PDF). Islamic Republic of Afghanistan: Central Statistics Organization. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
  3. ^ Muhammad Haroon, ed. (December 7, 2013). "Official wants Khost Airport contract reconsidered". Pajhwok Afghan News. Archived from the original on October 30, 2014. Retrieved October 30, 2014.
  4. ^ Muhammad Haroon, ed. (September 10, 2014). "Delay in completion of airport deplored". [Pajhwok Afghan News. Archived from the original on October 30, 2014. Retrieved October 30, 2014.
  5. ^ a b "Khost Province" (PDF). Program for Culture & Conflict Studies. Naval Postgraduate School. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
  6. ^ a b c d Archive, Civil Military Fusion Centre,
  7. ^ Afghanistan Geographic & Thematic Layers
  8. ^ Imperial gazetteer of India: provincial series, Volume 20. Publisher Supt. of Govt. Print., 1908

External links[]