Kentucky gubernatorial election, 2019
The Kentucky gubernatorial election, 2019 will be conducted on November 5 to choose the Governor of Kentucky. Incumbent Republican Governor Matt Bevin is eligible to run for reelection to a second term. Bevin has not announced whether he would run for a second term in office. Since the state's constitutional prohibition of governors serving consecutive terms was repealed in 1992, no Republican governor of Kentucky has ever been elected to consecutive terms. The only Republican to run for reelection, Ernie Fletcher, was defeated by Democrat Steve Beshear in 2007.
Incumbent Attorney General Andy Beshear officially announced his candidacy in the 2019 election on July 9, 2018, becoming the first candidate to declare their candidacy. Beshear’s running mate is Jaqueline Coleman, an Assistant Principal at Nelson County High School and political recruiter.
- Rocky Adkins, Minority leader of the Kentucky House of Representatives
- Ben Chandler, former U.S. Representative, former Attorney General of Kentucky and nominee for Governor in 2003
- Luther Deaton, banker
- Jim Gray, Mayor of Lexington, nominee for the U.S. Senate in 2016 and candidate for KY-06 in 2018
- Alison Lundergan Grimes, Secretary of State of Kentucky and nominee for the U.S. Senate in 2014
- Ray Jones, Minority Leader of the Kentucky Senate
- Sannie Overly, State Representative, Chair of the Kentucky Democratic Party, and nominee for Lieutenant Governor in 2015
- Attica Scott, State Representative, and former Louisville City Councillor
- Greg Stumbo, former Speaker of the Kentucky House of Representatives, former Attorney General of Kentucky and candidate for Lieutenant Governor in 2007
- ^ https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/article213094359.html
- ^ "Andy Beshear kicks off Kentucky's 2019 race for governor". kentucky. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- ^ http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Beshear-for-Governor-Announcement-scheduled-Monday-about-Future-of-Kentucky-487599871.html
- ^ "Board of Directors". Find your passion. Get involved. Take the lead.
- ^ a b c d e f g h Wheatley, Kevin (May 6, 2017). "Way-too-early look at 2019: Four emerging as most likely Democratic gubernatorial candidates". Spectrum News Kentucky. Retrieved June 12, 2017.
- ^ Jennings, Scott (July 28, 2016). "Fancy Farm emcee offers his preview". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved December 9, 2016.
- ^ a b Wheatley, Kevin (November 13, 2016). "After bruising U.S. Senate campaign, Democrats say Gray should look to Congress, constitutional offices in future". cn2. Retrieved December 9, 2016.
- ^ Loftus, Tom (October 22, 2015). "Sannie Overly: From engineer to Conway's ticket". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- ^ Bailey, Phillip (July 5, 2018). "Gov. Attica Scott? Louisville Democrat 'seriously considering' 2019 run". The Courier-Journal.