|Guards Reserve Corps|
Flag of the Staff of a Generalkommando (1871–1918)
|Active||2 August 1914 - 9 February 1915|
7 July 1915 - post November 1918
|Size||Approximately 38,000 (on formation)|
|Engagements||World War I|
Guards Reserve Corps was formed on the outbreak of the war in August 1914 as part of the mobilisation of the Army. It was initially commanded by General der Artillerie Max von Gallwitz, formerly Inspector General of Artillery. It ceased to exist on 9 February 1915 as its headquarters was used to form the headquarters of Armee-Gruppe Gallwitz (later 12th Army) on the Eastern Front.
Temporary Corps Marschall was formed on 7 July 1915 and renamed Guards Reserve Corps on 18 April 1916. It was still in existence at the end of the war in the 4th Army, Heeresgruppe Kronprinz Rupprecht on the Western Front.
On formation in August 1914, Guards Reserve Corps consisted of two divisions. In general, Reserve Corps and Reserve Divisions were weaker than their active counterparts, but the Guards Reserve Corps was exceptional in that
In summary, Guards Reserve Corps mobilised with 26 infantry battalions, 9 machine gun companies (54 machine guns), 6 cavalry squadrons, 24 field artillery batteries (144 guns), 4 heavy batteries (16 guns) and 3 pioneer companies.
|Guards Reserve Corps||3rd Guards Division||5th Guards Infantry Brigade||5th Foot Guards Regiment|
|5th Guards Grenadiers Regiment|
|6th Guards Infantry Brigade||Guard Fusilier Regiment|
|Lehr Infantry Regiment|
|3rd Guard Field Artillery Brigade||5th Guard Field Artillery Regiment|
|6th Guard Field Artillery Regiment|
|Guards Reserve Uhlan Regiment|
|1st Company, 28th Pioneer Battalion|
|3rd Guards Divisional Pontoon Train|
|1st Guards Medical Company|
|3rd Guards Medical Company|
|1st Guards Reserve Division||1st Guards Reserve Brigade||1st Guards Reserve Infantry Regiment|
|2nd Guards Reserve Infantry Regiment|
|Guards Reserve Jäger Battalion|
|15th Reserve Infantry Brigade||64th Reserve Infantry Regiment|
|93rd Reserve Infantry Regiment|
|Guards Reserve Schützen Battalion|
|Guards Reserve Field Artillery Brigade||1st Guards Reserve Field Artillery Regiment|
|3rd Guards Reserve Field Artillery Regiment|
|Guards Reserve Dragoon Regiment|
|2nd Company, 28th Pioneer Battalion|
|3rd Company, 28th Pioneer Battalion|
|2nd Guards Divisional Pontoon Train|
|2nd Guards Reserve Medical Company|
|Corps Troops||II Battalion, 1st Guards Foot Artillery Regiment|
|Guards Reserve Corps Pontoon Train|
|Guards Reserve Telephone Detachment|
|28th Pioneer Searchlight Section|
|Munition Trains and Columns corresponding to the II Corps|
On mobilisation, Guards Reserve Corps was assigned to the 2nd Army as part of the right wing of the forces that invaded France and Belgium as part of the Schlieffen Plan offensive in August 1914. It participated in the capture of Namur and was immediately transferred to the Eastern Front to join the 8th Army in time to participate in the First Battle of the Masurian Lakes.
On 9 February 1915, the Corps headquarters was upgraded to form the headquarters of Armee-Gruppe Gallwitz (later 12th Army).
Temporary Corps Marschall was formed on 7 July 1915 and established as the Guards Reserve Corps on 18 April 1916. It was still in existence at the end of the war in the 4th Army, Heeresgruppe Kronprinz Rupprecht on the Western Front.
|2 August 1914||General der Artillerie||Max von Gallwitz|
|9 February 1915||Upgraded to Armee-Gruppe Gallwitz|
|14 February 1915||Reformed as Korps Marschall|
|17 April 1916||General der Kavallerie||Wolf Freiherr Marschall von Altengottern|