Goldings estate


Goldings Estate is a large Elizabethan style country house and surrounding land close to Waterford, north of Hertford, Hertfordshire, England. The house was designed by George Devey (1820–1886), constructed between 1871 and 1877, and is a Grade II* listed building.[1][2]


The earliest known Goldings mansion was built about 1700 for Thomas Hall, Squire of Bengeo. In 1813 the estate was sold to Samuel Smith and inherited in 1861 by his grandson, the merchant banker Robert Smith, son of Abel Smith. Robert was the Sheriff of Hertfordshire for 1869-70. When the new house built by George Devey was completed the older house was demolished.

In 1921 the house was sold to Dr Barnardo's Homes for use as an orphanage and in 1923 was modified and enlarged and a chapel added. In 1960 a new wing was added. In 1967 the orphanage closed and Goldings was purchased by Hertfordshire County Council for use by the County Surveyor's Department.

In 1997 the council sold the property to London-based Harinbrook Properties to be converted into apartments.


  2. ^ Historic England. "GOLDINGS INCLUDING RETAINING WALLS AND STEPS TO FORECOURT AND TERRACE (1268815)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 10 May 2015.

Coordinates: 51°48′40″N 00°06′00″W / 51.81111°N 0.10000°W / 51.81111; -0.10000