Glen Head station in 2016
|Location||Glen Head Road & School Street|
Glen Head, NY
|Owned by||Long Island Rail Road|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections|| Nassau Inter-County Express: n27|
(four blocks west on Glen Cove Avenue)
|Opened||January 23, 1865|
Glen Head is a station along the Oyster Bay Branch of the Long Island Rail Road. It is officially located at Glen Head Road (Glenwood Rd.) and School Street in Glen Head, New York. However, parking is available between Glen Head Road and Locust Avenue on the east side of the tracks and between Glen Head Road and Walnut Avenue on the west side of the tracks.
The village of Glen Head (and the station that serves it) got its name from being the initial terminus "head of the rails" for the Glen Cove Branch from January 23, 1865, to 1867. In July 1866 the Post Office changed the old name of the town from Cedar Swamp to Greenvale, but in Feb. 1874 made another change to Glenwood. The railroad used the name Glen Head always and this has prevailed. A new station building was opened in May 1888. The station was rebuilt in May 1888, as a two-story red brick structure and contained elaborate gingerbread woodwork along the canopies, similar to that of Yaphank Station. It was rebuilt again midway through 1961 with the current one-story cedar-shingled depot.
The station has two high-level side platforms, each four cars long.
Entrance/exit and parking
|Platform A, doors will open on the right|
|Track 1||← Oyster Bay Branch toward Jamaica, Hunterspoint or Penn (Greenvale)|
|Track 2||Oyster Bay Branch toward Oyster Bay (Sea Cliff) →|
|Platform B, doors will open on the right|
|This New York train station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|