|Città di Follonica|
|• Mayor||Andrea Benini|
|• Total||56.02 km2 (21.63 sq mi)|
|Elevation||4 m (13 ft)|
|• Density||380/km2 (990/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Leopold|
|Saint day||November 15|
Follonica is a town and comune (township) of province of Grosseto in the Italian region of Tuscany, on the Gulf of Follonica (Golfo di Follonica), about 40 kilometres (25 mi) northwest of the city of Grosseto.
It was founded in 1834 by Grand Duke Leopold II of Tuscany for the workers of a new ironworks plant. However, the area was already settled in Etruscan and Roman times, and a medieval castle (Castello di Valli), whose ruins overlook now the modern town from a nearby hill, existed since at least 884. Until 1923 it was a frazione of Massa Marittima.
Follonica is a tourist site during the summer, mostly visited by the Italians themselves. The city has been awarded the Bandiera Blu ("Blue Flag") every year from 2000 to 2007 for the cleanliness of its beaches and seawater.
The Via Aurelia highway (SS 1), which runs from Rome to the Franco-Italian border, passes close by the city. The railway linking Reggio Calabria in the south and Turin in the north runs through the city, providing direct railway connections to the cities of Grosseto, Rome, Turin, Naples, Pisa and La Spezia, among others.
Media related to Follonica at Wikimedia Commons
|This Tuscany location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|