August is the eighth month of the year in the Julian and Gregorian calendars, falling between July and September, and the fifth month to have the length of 31 days. It was originally named Sextilis in Latin because it was the sixth month in the original ten-month Roman calendar under Romulus in 753 BC, and March was the first month of the year. About 700 BC, it became the eighth month when January and February were added to the year before March by King Numa Pompilius, who also gave it 29 days. Julius Caesar added two days when he created the Julian calendar in 45 BC, giving it its modern length of 31 days. In 8 BC, it was renamed in honor of Augustus. According to a Senatus consultum quoted by Macrobius, he chose this month because it was the time of several of his great triumphs, including the conquest of Egypt.
In the Southern Hemisphere, August is the seasonal equivalent of February in the Northern Hemisphere. In many European countries, August is the holiday month for most workers. Numerous religious holidays occurred during August in ancient Rome.
Certain meteor showers take place in August. The Kappa Cygnids take place in August, with the dates varying each year. The Alpha Capricornids meteor shower takes place as early as July 10 and ends at around August 10, and the Southern Delta Aquariids take place from mid-July to mid-August, with the peak usually around July 28–29. The Perseids, a major meteor shower, typically takes place between July 17 and August 24, with the days of the peak varying yearly. The star cluster of Messier 30 is best observed around August.
Among the aborigines of the Canary Islands, especially among the Guanches of Tenerife, the month of August received in the name of Beñesmer or Beñesmen, which was also the harvest festival held this month.
This list does not necessarily imply either official status or general observance.
Non-Gregorian observances, 2017
- July 4-October 31: Chaturmas (Hinduism, Jainism)
- July 9-October 5: Vassa (Theravada Buddhism)
- August 1: Tisha B'Av (Jewish calendar)
- August 3: Aadi Perukku (Hinduism, Tamil calendar)
- August 3: Shia Day of Celebration: Birth of Imam Ali Reza, 148 A.H. (Islamic calendar)
- August 3: Shravana Putrada Ekadashi
- August 3-7: Jhulan Purnima (Hinduism)
- August 4: Varalakshmi Vratam (Hinduism)
- August 5: Shabbat Nachamu (Jewish calendar)
- August 7: Raksha Bandhan (Hinduism)
- August 7: Tu B'Av (Jewish calendar)
- August 8: Drupka Teshi (Buddhism, Tibetan calendar)
- August 8: Tendong Lho Rumfaat (Lepcha people)
- August 10: Kajari Teej (Hinduism)
- August 10: Teejdi (Hinduism)
- August 13: Children's Day (Nepali, Vikram Samvat calendar)
- August 14: Krishna Janmashtami (Hinduism)
- August 16: Nandotsava (Hinduism, Indian National calendar)
- August 17-September 12: Mahalakshmi Vrata (Hinduism)
- August 17: Multiple Shia days of Remembrance (Islamic calendar)
- August 17: Simha Sankranti  (Hinduism)
- August 19: Shabbat Mevorchim (Jewish calendar)
- August 21: Amavasya (Hinduism) 
- August 21: Gokarna Aunsi (Hinduism, Nepali calendar)
- August 21: Shia Day of Remembrance: Martyrdom of Imam Mohammad Taqi (Islamic calendar)
- August 22: Hekate's Deipon (Attic calendar, modern Hellenism (religion))
- August 22: Yom Kippur Katan (optional, Jewish calendar)
- August 23: Gai Jatra (Hinduism, Vikram Samvat calendar)
- August 23: National Doctors' Day (Iranian calendar)
- August 23: Noumenia (Attic calendar, modern Hellenism (religion))
- August 23: Rosh Chodesh of Elul/Rosh Hashanah LaBehema (Jewish calendar)
- August 23–31: 1-9 Dhu al-Hijjah, fasting days (Islamic calendar)
- August 23-September 1: Nights for standing (Qiyaam) in Tahajjud (Islamic calendar)
- August 24: Gowri Habba (Hinduism, Indian National Calendar)
- August 24: Hartalika Teej (Hinduism)
- August 25: Ganesh Chaturthi (Hinduism, Indian National Calendar)
- August 26: Rishi Panchami (Hinduism)
- August 26-September 6: Onam (Hinduism, Malayalam calendar)
- August 27: Nuakhai (Hinduism, Indian National Calendar)
- August 28: Artemis Agrotera (Attic calendar, modern Hellenism (religion))
- August 28: Qixi Festival (Chinese calendar)
- August 29: Radhastami (Hinduism)
- August 29: Shia Day of Mourning: Martyrdom of Imam Mohammad Baqir (Islamic calendar)
- August 30: Shia Day of Mourning: Imam Hussain started from Mecca to Karbala (Islamic calendar)
- August 30 - September 4: Hajj (Islamic calendar)
- August 31: Day of Arafah/Shia Day of Mourning: Martyrdom of Janab-e-Muslim ibn Aqil & Hazrat Hani ibn Urwah in Kufa (Islamic calendar)
- August 31 - September 4: Takbirut Tashreeq (Islamic calendar)
United States month-long observances
- National Black Business Month
- National Children's Vision and Learning Month
- National Immunization Awareness Month
- National Water Quality Month
- National Win with Civility Month
Food Months in the United States
Movable Gregorian observances, 2017
1st Tuesday: August 1
Thursday before the first Monday: August 3
1st Friday: August 4
1st Saturday: August 5
1st Sunday: August 6
Sunday on or closest to August 9: August 6
1st Monday: August 7
2nd Tuesday: August 8
2nd Saturday: August 12
2nd Sunday: August 13
2nd Monday: August 14
2nd Tuesday: August 15
3rd Friday: August 18
3rd Saturday: August 19
Third Weekend: August 19–20
3rd Sunday: August 20
3rd Monday: August 21
Sunday nearest August 26: August 27
Last Sunday: August 27
Last Monday: August 28
Last Thursday: August 31
Fixed Gregorian Observances
- Season of Emancipation (Barbados) (April 14 to August 23)
- International Clown Week (August 1–7)
- World Breastfeeding Week (August 1–7)
- August 1
- Armed Forces Day (China)
- Armed Forces Day (Lebanon)
- Azerbaijani Language and Alphabet Day (Azerbaijan)
- Emancipation Day (Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, St. Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands)
- Imbolc (Neopaganism, Southern hemisphere only)
- Lammas (England, Scotland, Neopaganism, Northern Hemisphere only)
- Lughnasadh (Gaels, Ireland, Scotland, Neopaganism, Northern Hemisphere only)
- Minden Day (United Kingdom)
- National Day (Benin)
- National Milkshake Day (United States)
- Official Birthday and Coronation Day of the King of Tonga (Tonga)
- Pachamama Raymi (Quechua people in Ecuador and Peru)
- Parents' Day (Democratic Republic of the Congo)
- Procession of the Cross and the beginning of Dormition Fast (Eastern Orthodoxy)
- Statehood Day (Colorado)
- Swiss National Day (Switzerland)
- Victory Day (Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam)
- World Scout Scarf Day
- Yorkshire Day (Yorkshire, England)
- August 2
- August 3
- August 4
- August 5
- August 6
- August 7
- August 8
- August 9
- August 10
- August 11
- August 12
- August 13
- August 14
- August 15
- August 16
- August 17
- August 18
- August 19
- August 20
- August 21
- August 22
- August 23
- August 24
- August 25
- August 26
- August 27
- August 28
- August 29
- August 30
- August 31
- ^ "August." Encyclopædia Britannica. 2008. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. 23 September 2008.
- ^ "Year of Julius Caesar, A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities (1890), William Smith, LLD, William Wayte, G. E. Marindin, Ed".
- ^ Supplicia canum was held on August 3, Lychnapsia on August 12, Nemoralia was held from August 13–15 (or on the full moon of August), Tiberinalia and Portumnalia on August 17, Consuales Ludi on August 18, Vinalia rustica on August 19, Vulcanalia on August 23, Opiconsivia on August 25, and Volturnalia on August 27. These dates do not correspond to the modern Gregorian calendar.
- ^ Abréu Galindo, Juan de (1848) . Historia de la conquista de las siete islas de Gran Canaria. Santa Cruz de Tenerife: Imprenta, Litografía y Librería Isleña.
- ^ Torriani, Leonardo (1959) . Descripción e historia del reino de las Islas Canarias: antes Afortunadas, con el parecer de sus fortificaciones. Santa Cruz de Tenerife: Goya Ediciones.
- ^ "Why the American Gem Society". American Gem Society.
- ^ Birth months, flowers, and gemstones, shgresources.com
- ^ "Sankranti 2017 Dates for New Delhi, India". panchang.astrosage.com.
- ^ "Amavasya 2017 Date and Time – Amavasi Calendar in 2017 - The No moon Day in Hindu Calendar 2017". www.hindu-blog.com.
- ^ "www.americanadventures.info".
- ^ "Children's Eye Health and Safety Month".
- ^ "Online Events".
- ^ "August is Get Ready for Kindergarten Month!". Committee for Economic Development of The Conference Board.
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved 2015-07-29.
- ^ "AANS".
- ^ "Psoriasis Awareness Month - Take Action, One Day at a Time - National Psoriasis Foundation".
- ^ "Cure SMA - Home".
- ^ "What Will Be Your Legacy Month".
- ^ "12th annual National Black Business Month". National Black Business Month.
- ^ "August is Vision & Learning Month - College of Optometrists in Vision Development (COVD)".
- ^ "National Immunization Awareness Month - NIAM - CDC".
- ^ "August is National Water Quality Month". GoodSpeaks.
- ^ "MHprofessional.com".
- ^ a b c d e f "Food Days, Weeks, Months - August". UNL Food. University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
- ^ Bober, Mike. Celebrate National Goat Cheese Month with Local Favorites, dcfoodies.com
- ^ "Why Is National Panini Month In August?". Food Republic. August 20, 2012.
- ^ https://www.ccq.org/~/media/PDF/ConventionsCollectives/CalendarENG.pdf.pdf
- ^ a b "National Farmers Market Week - Farmers Market Coalition".
||Wikiquote has quotations related to: August
||Look up August in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to August.