Arnhem Centraal railway station is the largest railway station in the city of Arnhem in Gelderland, Netherlands. It was opened on 14 May 1845 and is located on the Amsterdam–Arnhem railway, the Arnhem–Leeuwarden railway and the Arnhem–Nijmegen railway. The station opened at the same time as the Amsterdam–Arnhem railway, that continues into Germany via the Oberhausen–Arnhem railway.
The station is the main station of Arnhem, and at present, has around 40,000 passengers that use the station per day, this makes it the 9th busiest station in the Netherlands. The main building has a surface of 18,000 m2 and a volume of 76,000 m3, the building has a capacity of 110.000 transfers per day.
Entrance hall of the new station
In 2006 a reconstruction of the complete station area started. In October of that year, a temporary station entrance opened, that could only be reached by three sets of stairs (or by elevators). On July 2, 2011, a new tunnel under the platforms opened. The temporary entrance closed down and dismantled in the Autumn of 2011. As of that period the railway consists of 4 platforms including a footbridge connecting all platforms.
During the summer of 2011 a new dive under was created west of the station which allows trains to Nijmegen and Utrecht to underpass all tracks without interfering the other train services. All traffic on the western part of the station was completely suspended during 5 weeks. Drive under officially opened on the 29 of August in 2011. The official re-opening of the completed station was on 19 November 2015, on this day the station was renamed Arnhem Centraal, formerly it had just been Arnhem.
The new design of the railway station was created by UNStudio in collaboration with Cecil Balmond at Arup AGU. It won the Dutch Nationale Staalprijs.
The station is served by the following train services:
- Intercity-Express: Amsterdam - Utrecht - Arnhem - Cologne - Frankfurt Airport - Basel
- Intercity-Express: Amsterdam - Utrecht - Arnhem - Cologne - Frankfurt
- Regional Express: Arnhem - Emmerich - Wesel - Oberhausen - Duisburg - Düsseldorf
- Intercity: Den Helder - Amsterdam - Utrecht - Arnhem - Nijmegen
- Intercity: Schiphol - Utrecht - Arnhem - Nijmegen
- Intercity: Zwolle - Arnhem - Nijmegen - Oss - 's-Hertogenbosch - Tilburg - Breda - Roosendaal
- Sprinter: Arnhem - Nijmegen - Oss - 's-Hertogenbosch - Tilburg - Breda - Dordrecht
- Sprinter: Ede-Wageningen - Arnhem
- Sprinter: Zutphen - Arnhem - Nijmegen (- Wijchen on weekdays)
- Stoptrein: Arnhem - Zevenaar - Doetinchem
- Stoptrein: Arnhem - Zevenaar - Doetinchem - Winterswijk
- Stoptrein: Tiel - Elst - Arnhem
Stairs in the station building
The bus services depart from the covered bus station underneath the Essent towers and from the area in front of the main entrance. Arnhem is known for its trolleybus service in the Netherlands. They operate on a number of city services.
Bus services are operated by a variety of operators; city services are operated by Breng and regional services by Breng, Arriva and Syntus.
KLM also operates a bus service for KLM customers from the train station to Schiphol Airport.
- 1 De Laar West - Elderveld - Centraal Station - City Centre - Station Velperpoort - Velp (trolleybus)
- 2 Centraal Station - City Centre - Kronenburg (Shopping Mall) - De Laar Oost - De Laar West (trolleybus)
- 3 Het Duifje - City Centre - Centraal Station - Rijnstate (Hospital) - Alteveer - Burgers' Zoo (- Open Air Museum) (trolleybus)
- 5 Schuytgraaf - Station Arnhem Zuid - Elderveld - Centraal Station - City Centre - Presikhaaf (Shopping Mall) - Presikhaaf (trolleybus)
- 6 Centraal Station - City Centre - Presikhaaf (Shopping Mall) - Elsweide/HAN (University of Applied Sciences) (trolleybus)
- 7 Rijkerswoerd - Kronenburg (Shopping Mall) - Gelredome (Stadium) - Centraal Station - City Centre - Station Velperpoort - Geitenkamp (trolleybus)
- 8 Centraal Station - Rijnstate (Hospital) - Open Air Museum - Alteveer - Geitenkamp
- 9 Schaarsbergen I.P.C. - Hoogkamp - Centraal Station
- 10 Centraal Station - Het Dorp - Sportcentrum Papendal
- 11 Station Arnhem Zuid - De Laar Oost - Vredenburg - Kronenburg (Shopping Mall) - Gelredome (Stadium) - Centraal Station
- 12 Centraal Station - City Centre (South) - Presikhaaf - IJsseloord 1 - IJsseloord 2
- 77 Centraal Station - City Centre - Station Velperpoort - CIOS
- 14 Arnhem - Elden - Elst - Oosterhout - Lent - Nijmegen
- 26 Arnhem - Presikhaaf - Velp - Giesbeek - Doesburg - Dieren
- 27 Arnhem - Presikhaaf - Velp - Giesbeek - Doesburg - Drempt - Hoog Keppel - Laag Keppel - Doetinchem
- 29 Arnhem - Velp - Rheden - Doesburg - Drempt - Hoog Keppel - Laag Keppel - Doetinchem
- 33 Arnhem - Malburgen-Oost - Huissen - Angeren - Doornenburg - Gendt - Bemmel - Lent - Nijmegen
- 43 Arnhem - Westervoort - Velp - Rheden - Ellecom - Dieren - Beekbergen - Apeldoorn
- 51 Arnhem - Oosterbeek - Doorwerth - Heelsum - Renkum - Wageningen
- 56 Arnhem - Driel - Heteren
- 60 Arnhem - Westervoort - Duiven - Zevenaar - Babberich - Lobith - Tolkamer
- 62 Arnhem - Westervoort - Duiven
- 72 Arnhem - Huissen
- 91 Arnhem - Beekbergen - Apeldoorn
- 105 Arnhem - Otterlo - Barneveld
- 231 Arnhem - De Maten (Apeldoorn) - Apeldoorn
- 300 Arnhem - Malburgen-Oost - Huissen - Bemmel - Nijmegen (Bus rapid transit service Brengdirect)
- 331 Arnhem - Kronenburg - Elst - Nijmegen (Bus rapid transit service Brengdirect)
- 352 Arnhem - Oosterbeek - Doorwerth - Heelsum - Renkum - Wageningen (Bus rapid transit service Brengdirect)