(Generalkommando zbV 54)
Flag of the Staff of a Generalkommando (1871–1918)
The 54th Corps (z.b.V.) was formed in September 1916. With the onset of trench warfare, the German Army recognised that it was no longer possible to maintain the traditional Corps unit, that is, one made up of two divisions. Whereas at some times (and in some places) a Corps of two divisions was sufficient, at other times 5 or 6 divisions were necessary. Therefore, under the Hindenburg regime (from summer 1916), new Corps headquarters were created without organic divisions. These new Corps were designated General Commands for Special Use (German: Generalkommandos zur besonderen Verwendung).
|Generalleutnant Viktor Kühne||4 September 1916||2 February 1917|
|Generalleutnant Richard von Kraewel||2 February 1917||25 February 1917|
|General der Infanterie Eduard von Liebert||25 February 1917||17 June 1917|
|Generalleutnant Max von Müller||17 June 1917||21 January 1918|
|Generalleutnant Alfred von Larisch||21 January 1918||end of the war|