This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015)
|326th Medical Battalion|
|Active||1942 – 1946; 1948 - 1949; 1950 - 1953; 1954 – 1994|
|Branch||United States Army|
|Part of||101st Airborne Division|
|Garrison/HQ||Fort Campbell, Kentucky|
|Engagements||World War II, Vietnam, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Afghanistan|
|Battle honours||Presidential Unit Citation (Army), Streamer embroidered NORMANDY|
Presidential Unit Citation (Army), Streamer embroidered BASTOGNE
Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1968-1969
French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II, Streamer embroidered NORMANDY
Netherlands Orange Lanyard
Belgian Fourragere 1940
Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in FRANCE and BELGIUM
Belgian Croix de Guerre with Palm 1940, Streamer embroidered BASTOGNE
Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm, Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1968-1969
Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm, Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1971
Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Honor Medal First Class, Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1968-1970
|LTG Bernard T. Mittemeyer|
MG Floyd W. Baker
The 326th Medical Battalion was a divisional support medical unit of the United States Army. It supported the 101st Airborne Division, located at Fort Campbell, Kentucky. Its lineage and honors are perpetuated by the 626th Support Battalion, 101st Airborne Division, Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
Company C additionally entitled to:
Company A additionally entitled to:
Company B additionally entitled to:
The 326th Medical Battalion was initially constituted on 23 July 1918 as the 326th Sanitary Train and was assigned to the 101st Division. The 101st Sanitary Train, to include Ambulance Companies 401 through 404 and Field Hospital Companies 401 through 404, was never fully organized before the War Department ordered the demobilization of the 101st Division on 30 November 1918, and the unit was formally demobilized on 11 December 1918.
The 326th Medical Regiment was constituted in the Organized Reserves on 24 June 1921. It was assigned to the 101st Division and allotted to the VI Corps Area. The Regiment was initiated on 17 October 1921 with the regimental headquarters located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The regiment's Sanitary Battalion (later redesignated as the Collecting Battalion) was organized with its headquarters at Holcombe, Wisconsin and its Hospital Battalion was organized with its headquarters at Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, and its Ambulance Battalion with headquarters at Elroy, Wisconsin. By 1934 the Hospital Battalion and the Collecting Battalion Headquarters relocated to Milwaukee. During most years, the Regiment conducted its annual training at Fort Snelling, Minnesota, hosted by the post's station hospital.
On 30 January 1942, the Regiment was reorganized and redesignated as the 326th Medical Battalion of the 101st Division as part of the Army's reorganization from Square to Triangular divisions. The Army, in preparation for the war in Europe, withdrew the Battalion from the organized reserves and assigned it to the Army of the United States on 15 August 1942, once more reorganizing and redesignating the unit, this time as the 326th Airborne Medical Company. Along with the rest of the division, the company was inactivated on 30 November 1945 at Auxerre, France.
In 1964, just before the division deployed elements to Vietnam, the 326th Medical Company was expanded into the 326th Medical Battalion.
As part of an Army-wide reorganization of combat forces, In 1992 the 326th Medical Battalion was reorganized and redesignated as the 626th Forward Support Battalion. Its companies were redesignated as Forward Support Medical Companies (FSMCs) and reassigned to the Brigade Combat Teams (BCT), 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). A Company was designated as the Company C, 426 FSB, B Company was designated as Company C, 525 FSB, and C Company remained as the medical company of the 626 FSB.
Stanton's Vietnam Order of Battle, 213, says Co D (Airborne) arrived in Vietnam with the 1st Brigade (separate) at Phan Rang in July 1965. In 1966 the authorized strength of the company was 76. The main body of the 326th Medical Battalion arrived in Vietnam on 22 July 1967 and departed on 23 December 1971. The battalion's authorized strength was 380.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2015)
Company D, an Aero Medical Evacuation (Medevac) Unit active until 2015, was often referred to by its callsign, "Eagle Dustoff". It traced its history from the 50th Medical Detachment (Helicopter Ambulance).
On 1 July 1968, the 50th Medical Detachment (Helicopter Ambulance) was attached to the 326th Medical Battalion, was inactivated on 14 August 1968, and its personnel and equipment used to form the nucleus of the Air Ambulance Platoon of the 326th Medical Battalion.
During the 1990 Gulf War (Desert Shield/Desert Storm), Eagle Dustoff (D Co, 326 Med Bn) was deployed to the Saudi Arabian Theatre of operations on Aug 22 1990 and was the first US Army Medevac unit in country. When Eagle Dustoff landed in Dhahran Saudi Arabia and unloaded the 3 UH60A Medevac birds from the C5A Galaxy, Eagle Dustoff immediately began taking missions with the evacuation of an injured US Marine with a broken leg. Two days after assuming duty, Eagle Dustoff moved 40 miles Northwest of Dhahran to King Fahd International Airport where Medevac operations remained until Jan 18, 1991 when all 12 Medevac birds were moved 700 miles NW to TAA Campbell at the start of Operation Desert Storm.
During the time at TAA Campbell birds from Eagle Dustoff ventured into Iraq to support air operations connected to the Air War against Baghdad. On February 28, 1991, the remaining personnel from Eagle Dustoff convoyed with the 326 Med Bn and the rest of the 101st Airborne 115 miles into Iraq to FOB Cobra. Operations at FOB Cobra lasted until after the cease fire with Iraq and for a week after when the unit returned to TAA Campbell. Eagle Dustoff then completely returned to King Fahd International on Mar 28, 1991.
The last member of Eagle Dustoff to arrive back at Fort Campbell did so on April 24, 1991.
When the 326th Medical Battalion was reorganized and redesignated as the 626th Forward Support Battalion, Company D was redesignated as the 50th Medical Company (Air Ambulance), with the lineage and honors of the original 50th Medical Detachment (Helicopter Ambulance).
A silver eagle wing entwined by a green serpent with red fangs above a maroon scroll with the motto “ASSURGAM” in silver lettering. The overall height is 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm).
The eagle's wing signifies flight. The serpent represents the Medical Corps, the assignment of the original organization. The motto translates to “I Rise Up.”
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 326th Airborne Medical Company on 24 November 1942. It was amended to place the insignia on a shield with motto below and authorized for the 501st Airborne Medical Battalion on 29 August 1952. It was rescinded on 29 October 1957. The original design of the insignia was reinstated with motto added, for the 326th Medical Company on 29 October 1957. It was redesignated for the 326th Medical Battalion on 5 April 1965. It was redesignated for the 626th Support Battalion with the description and symbolism revised effective 16 April 1994.
Sanguine, a wing Argent entwined with a serpent Vert langued Gules fimbriated of the second.
From a wreath Argent and Sanguine, two stretchers saltirewise Proper interlaced with an annulet per pale Gules and Azure, the outer edge fimbriated of the first, and charged with a mullet of seven points of the second.
ASSURGAM (I Rise Up).
Maroon and white are colors of the Army Medical Service. The design is adapted from the badge of the 326th Airborne Company, from which the Battalion is descended. The wing illustrates the parent organization's airborne function and the serpent represents its medical function.
The annulet and crossed stretchers refer to the crossroads and the encirclement of Bastogne. Red and blue are adapted from the coat of arms of Bastogne. The seven-pointed star, symbolic of the unit's skill, alludes to the original unit's seven decorations, World War II.
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 501st Airborne Medical Battalion on 29 August 1952. It was rescinded on 29 October 1957. It was reinstated and redesignated for the 326th Medical Battalion on 5 April 1965. The insignia was amended to add a crest on 2 July 1965. It was redesignated for the 626th Support Battalion with the blazon and symbolism revised effective 16 April 1994.
Although the background oval came from the Institute of Heraldry's "Beret Flash" page, as an Air Assault unit at the time Maroon Berets were authorized for airborne units, the 326th does not appear to have been authorized a beret flash, and none is shown on the Institute of Heraldry's website.
|Rank||Commander Name||Branch||Start Date||End Date||Remarks|
|Unknown||23 July 1918||11 December 1918||Not fully organized|
|11 December 1918||16 October 1921||Inactive|
|COL||Gustavus I. Hogue||MC, ORC||17 October 1921||1 November 1922|||
|LTC||Frank F. Bowman||MC, ORC||24 November 1922||6 December 1923|||
|COL||George Van Ingen Brown||MC, ORC||6 December 1923||August 1927|||
|COL||Carl E. Gray, Jr.||MC, ORC||August 1927||~August 1928|||
|Unknown||~August 1928||~June 1929|||
|MAJ||Ralph T. GilChrist||MC, ORC||~June 1929||~July 1929|||
|Unknown||~July 1929||~May 1930|||
|LTC||Walter G. Darling||MC, ORC||~May 1930||~July 1930|||
|Unknown||~July 1930||~May 1937|||
|COL||Harvey E. Webb||MC, ORC||~May 1937||12 June 1937|||
|Unknown||13 June 1937||12 July 1937|||
|COL||William E. Braddock||MC, ORC||13 July 1937||~January 1941|||
|MAJ||William E. Barfield||MC||15 August 1942||27 December 1944||Barfield was reassigned as the Division Surgeon|
|CPT||Roy H. Moore, Jr.||MC||28 December 1944||30 November 1945|||
|1 December 1945||5 July 1948||Inactive|
|Unknown||6 July 1948||22 April 1949|
|23 April 1949||24 August 1950||Inactive|
|Unknown||25 August 1950||1 December 1953|
|2 December 1953||14 May 1954||Inactive|
|MAJ||Thomas P. Mullaney, Jr.||MC||In command in 1956|
|MAJ||Jimmie Kanaya||MSC||Received Direct Commission while assigned to the 442d Regimental Combat Team in World War II. In command in 1960.|
|MAJ||George W. Lindsey, Sr.||MSC||30 October 1961||In command in 1961; per "Army Register," retired 30 October 1961|
|MAJ||Foster C. McCaleb||MC||3 February 1964||July 1964||McCaleb is listed as being in command from the activation of the 326th Medical Battalion; he may have also commanded the 326th Medical Company prior to the conversion on 3 February.|
|LTC||Floyd W. Baker||MC||July 1964||September 1965||Retired as a Major general; Commander, 7th Medical Command, United States Army Health Services Command|
|MAJ||Francis Morgan, Jr.||MSC||September 1965||September 1966|||
|MAJ||Ran L. Phillips, Jr||MC||September 1966||December 1966||Left active duty as an LTC, retired as Brigadier general, USAR|
|LTC||Isadore O. Peppe||DC||January 1967||6 May 1967|
|LTC||Ran L. Phillips, Jr||MC||7 May 1967||27 July 1968|
|LTC||Bernard T. Mittemeyer||MC||28 July 1968||27 February 1969||Retired as a Lieutenant general, served as Surgeon General of the United States Army 1 October 1981—1 February 1985.|
|LTC||David K. Selby||MC||28 February 1969||20 July 1969|||
|LTC||George W. Ford||MC||21 July 1969||9 July 1970|
|COL||Joseph F. Powers||MC||27 January 1970||9 July 1970||Promoted to Colonel while in command|
|LTC||Robert E. Day||MC||10 July 1970||23 June 1971|
|MAJ||Larry L. Grabhorn||MC||24 June 1971||1 July 1971|||
|LTC||William H. Berner||MC||2 July 1971|
|MAJ||Joseph U. Weaver, Jr.||MSC||11 April 1972||The 326th Medical Battalion (Airmobile) returned to Fort Campbell from Camp Eagle, Vietnam on 15 April 1972 absent the majority of its historical records, and the report referenced does not provide any information on the battalion prior to April 1972.|
|LTC||Burton H. Kaplan||MC||January 1976||Also served as Division Surgeon|
|LTC||Patrick Henry Brady||MSC||January 1976||July 1977||Medal of Honor recipient; flew under Major Charles L. Kelly; retired as a Major general|
|LTC||Edward J. Preston, Jr.||MSC||1982|||
|LTC||Eldon H. Ideus||MSC||1982||July 1984||Commanded the 1st Medical Group during Operation Desert Shield/Storm.|
|LTC||Jerome V. Foust||MSC||July 1984||July 1986||Later commanded 44th Medical Brigade in Panama and Desert Shield/Storm, Chief, Medical Service Corps 1992–1995; retired as a Brigadier general|
|LTC||Richard Pecoraro||MSC||July 1986||1988|
|LTC||Jerry Baugher||MSC||1988||2 August 1990|
|LTC||Tommy Mayes||MSC||2 August 1990||January 1991|
|LTC||Michael Kimes||MC||January 1991||February 1991||Kimes was the Division Surgeon, and DA policy at the time required Medical Corps officers command units that were actively providing patient care; Kimes assumed command of the Battalion during the ground war|
|LTC||Tommy Mayes||MSC||February 1991||August 1992||Mayes resumed command after the end of ground combat operations|
|LTC||Randy Mazchek||MSC||August 1992|