|2nd Lancers (Gardner's Horse)|
|Active||1809 - present|
British Indian Army|
|Part of||Indian Armoured Corps|
|Motto(s)||Honi Soit Qui Maly Pense|
World War I
Battle of the Somme
Battle of Bazentin
Battle of Flers–Courcelette
Battle of Cambrai
Occupation of the Jordan Valley
Battle of Megiddo
Capture of Afulah and Beisan
World War II
Battle of Gazala
|Maj Gen Anil P Dere|
The 2nd Lancers (Gardner's Horse) is one of the oldest and most highly decorated armoured regiments of the Indian Army. It was originally raised in 1809. It served in the Nepal and First World War. During the reconstruction of the British Indian Army in 1922 it was amalgamated with the 4th Cavalry
The regiment was raised in 1809 by William Linnæus Gardner who had previously served with the 74th Highlanders; it first saw service in the Nepal War of 1815. It is the most decorated regiment of the Indian Army. Like all regiments of the Indian Army, the 2nd Lancers (Gardner’s Horse) underwent many name changes in various reorganisations. (They are listed below):
The regiment was sent to France in World War I as part of the 5th (Mhow) Cavalry Brigade, 2nd Indian Cavalry Division. It was brigaded with the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons and the 38th King George's Own Central India Horse  Once in France its personnel were called upon to serve in the trenches as infantry. The high number of officer casualties suffered early on had an effect on performance. British officers who understood the language, customs and psychology of their men could not be quickly replaced, and the alien environment of the Western Front had some effect on the soldiers. During their time on the Western Front the regiment was involved in the Battle of the Somme, Battle of Bazentin, Battle of Flers–Courcelette, the Advance to the Hindenburg Line and the Battle of Cambrai.
In February 1918 they left France for Egypt, joining the Egyptian Expionary Force, 10th Cavalry Brigade, 4th Cavalry Division in the Desert Mounted Corps. From May 1918 the Regiment took part in General Edmund Allenby's Palestine section of the Sinai and Palestine Campaign. After taking part in the Occupation of the Jordan Valley, on 20 September 1918 when infantry and cavalry divisions in three corps, enveloped two Ottoman armies in the Judean Hills during the Battle of Megiddo, the 2nd Lancers, commanded by Captain, temporary Major and Acting Lt. Colonel, Douglas Davison launched an improvised cavalry charge which broke the Ottoman line defending the Jezreel Valley. Capt. D.S. Davison was awarded the DSO for his part in this battle. On the same day, the 4th Cavalry Division captured the towns of Afulah and Beisan, along with around 100 German personnel, aircraft, trucks and railway stock. The regiment was also involved in Lieutenant General Harry Chauvel's pursuit to Damascus along the Pilgrims Road via Deraa. The Regiment returned to India in December 1920.
The regiments' only Victoria Cross was awarded during World War I to Gobind Singh (7 December 1887 – 9 December 1942) a Lance-Daffadar (corporal) in the 27th Light Cavalry attached to the 2nd Lancers (Gardner's Horse). On 12 December 1917, east of Pezières, Singh volunteered three times to carry messages between the regiment and brigade headquarters, a distance of 1.5 miles (2.4 km) over open ground which was under heavy fire. He succeeded in delivering the messages, although on each occasion his horse was shot from under him and he was compelled to finish the journey on foot.
The Indian Order of Merit (IOM) was a military and civilian decoration of British India. The Indian Order of Merit was the only gallantry medal available to Native soldiers between 1837 and 1907 when the Indian Distinguished Service Medal was introduced, and when the Victoria Cross was opened to native soldiers in 1911. Both divisions of the order were removed when India became independent in 1947 following the partition of India. The brave men of 2nd Lancers (Gardner's Horse) showed explicit courage during their time on the Western Front.
Receipants of IOM are :
The Albert Medal is awarded for "daring and heroic actions performed by mariners and others in danger of perishing, by reason of wrecks and other perils of the sea". It was awarded on 15 March 1919 to Trooper Mangal Sain, 2nd Indian Lancers (Gardner's Horse) at Beirut, Lebanon. Whilst guarding a party of Turkish POWs who were being allowed to swim, he saved a prisoner and a British soldier from drowning.
In late 1920 the 4th Cavalry were sent to Palestine on occupation duties, not returning to India until January 1922. At Bombay in April 1922 they amalgamated with the 2nd Lancers (Gardner's Horse) to form the 2nd/4th Cavalry. However this title was short-lived and the new unit was retitled 2nd Lancers (Gardner's Horse) by July 1922.
The regiment served in the Western Desert Campaign during World War II as part of the 3rd Indian Motor Brigade, 7th Armoured Division. It was brigaded with the 18th King Edward's Own Cavalry and the 11th Prince Albert Victor's Own Cavalry (Frontier Force). It also supplied men for the Indian Long Range Squadron.
In 1942 the 3rd Indian Motor Brigade, during the Battle of Gazala, formed the southernmost point of the Gazala Line near Bir Hacheim. On 27 May 1942, Italy’s Ariete Armoured Division overran the 3rd Indian Motor Brigade.
After this action the shattered remains the 3rd Indian Motor Brigade were reformed at Buq Buq but after a short while were formed into two strong columns, Shercol & Billicol, with the 2nd Royal Lancers supplying some men and equipment to the columns, the remainder of the men assigned to protect the rear Brigade H.Q. and the "B" echlons. Neither lasted long. In the early hours of 24 June 1942 Shercol was smashed after running into an Italian harbour in the dark.
However the 3rd Indian Motor Brigade part of the desert war was over. On 30 June the Brigade was ordered to hand over 50% its vehicles to the 8th Army. The brigade was dispersed in July, the regiment moving to Haifa in Palestine, however it was reformed in August. It travelled overland to Sahneh in Persia via Baghdad, coming under the command of 31st Indian Armoured Division where it remained until late November, when they moved to Shaibah, seven miles 7 miles (11 km) from Basra. From here the Regiment returned to India in January 1943.
After a three-month stay at Ferozepore, the Regiment moved to Risalpur, where it was converted to an Armoured Car Regiment, in the Training Brigade.
In October the regiment marched to Quetta. In May 1944 the regiment moved again to Allahabad, then Lucknow after a short stay then back to the frontier in October to Kohat, relieving the 16th Light Cavalry. They were still at Kohat when the war ended.
In oct 1943, Lt Col Maharaj Rajendra Shinji, DSO, ADC became the first Indian to take over the command of the regiment, as also the first Indian to command an armored regiment.
15 Aug 1947 found the Regiment in Malaya in action against the communist guerrillas. The Regiment returned to India in Dec 1947. During the course of partition those muslims tps of 'A' squadron who decided to join Pakistan, set sail for Karachi in Nov 1947. In 1948 the remainder muslims were posted to 18 Cav and the Regiment received a Rajput squadron from them. Today the Regiment stands proud with two Rajput and a Jat squadron.
In Jan 1953, Gen Maharaj Rajendra Shinji, DSO, ADC, assumed the appointment of the Chief of Army Staff of the Indian army, the first officer from 2nd Lancers(GH) as also from the Armored Corps, to become the Army Chief. In Nov 1961, the Regiment alongwith the Scinde Horse became the first regiment in the armored corps to be awarded the Guidon for its distinguished record in War and Peace
In Sep 1965, the Regiment went to war as part of the 1st Armored Division. Equipped with Sherman mk V/VI tanks, it gave an excellent account of itself in the famous tank battles in Phillora and Chawinda. For the heroic performance in these battles the Regiment was awarded the Theatre Honor of "PUNJAB".
10 Aug 1966 is another red letter day in the history of the Regiment when it became the first regiment to receive the indigenous battle tanks 'Vijayanta'. Currently the regiment is equipped with T-72 tanks and with a number of gallantry awards to its name, The Gardner's Horse is one of the most decorated regiments on the subcontinent.