c. 1385 – In Milan, Archbishop Antonio da Saluzzo and statesman Gian Galeazzo Visconti initiate a project to design and build a new Cathedral; beginning with the demolition of buildings previously at that site (the palace of the Archbishop, the Ordinari Palace, and the Baptistry of 'St. Stephen at the Spring'). The old church of Sta. Maria Maggiore is quarried for stone. The exterior of the new Milan Cathedral will not be fully completed until nearly six centuries later; with the last external gate being finished in the 1960s.