The 14th arrondissement of Paris (XIVe arrondissement) is one of the 20 arrondissements of the capital city of France. In spoken French, this arrondissement is referred to as quatorzième.
The arrondissement, called Observatoire, is situated on the left bank of the River Seine. It contains most of the Montparnasse district. It is today best known for its skyscraper, the Tour Montparnasse, and its major railway terminus, the Gare Montparnasse, both located in the neighboring 15th arrondissement. The district has traditionally been home to many artists as well as a Breton community, arrived at the beginning of the 20th century upon the creation of the Montparnasse railway terminus.
Universities located in the 14th arrondissement also include the Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris, which is located near the Parc Montsouris, the Stade Charléty and the catacombs; and the Paris School of Economics.
The land area of this arrondissement is 5.621 km² (2.17 sq. miles, or 1,389 acres).
The 14th arrondissement attained its peak population in 1954 when it had 181,414 inhabitants. It continues to have a high density of both population and business activity with 132,844 inhabitants and 71,836 jobs as of the last census, in 1999.
(inh. per km²)
|1954 (peak of population)
Place of birth of residents of the 14th arrondissement in 1999
|Born in Metropolitan France
||Born outside Metropolitan France
|Born in foreign countries with French citizenship at birth1
|1This group is made up largely of former French settlers, such as pieds-noirs in Northwest Africa, followed by former colonial citizens who had French citizenship at birth (such as was often the case for the native elite in French colonies), and to a lesser extent foreign-born children of French expatriates. Note that a foreign country is understood as a country not part of France in 1999, so a person born for example in 1950 in Algeria, when Algeria was an integral part of France, is nonetheless listed as a person born in a foreign country in French statistics.|
2An immigrant is a person born in a foreign country not having French citizenship at birth. Note that an immigrant may have acquired French citizenship since moving to France, but is still considered an immigrant in French statistics. On the other hand, persons born in France with foreign citizenship (the children of immigrants) are not listed as immigrants.
Aéroports de Paris has its head office in the arrondissement. In addition Société d'exploitation de l'hebdomadaire Le Point (SEBDO Le Point), the company that operates Le Point, has its head office in the arrondissement.
SNCF, the French rail company, formerly had its head office in Montparnasse and the 14th arrondissement.
Government and infrastructure
La Santé Prison, operated by the Ministry of Justice, is in the arrondissement.
The head office of the Agency for French Education Abroad (AEFE), the French international schooling network, is in the arrondissement.
The International Astronomical Union head office is located on the second floor of the Institut d'Astrophysique de Paris. The Théâtre Rive Gauche is located at 6, rue de la Gaîté.
Places of interest
Main streets and squares
Pedestrian street in the 14th arrondissement of Paris
- ^ "Paris Catacombs facts. History. Visits". Paris Digest. 2018. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- ^ "Contacts Archived 2014-07-02 at the Wayback Machine." Aéroports de Paris. Retrieved on 3 February 2010.
- ^ "Mentions légales." Le Point. Retrieved on 25 August 2011. "Siège social : 74, avenue du Maine - 75682 Paris Cedex 14"
- ^ "Legal information." SNCF. Retrieved on 26 October 2009.
- ^ "Le siège haut perché de la SNCF à Montparnasse." Les Echos. 20 May 1999. Page 54. Retrieved on 1 May 2010. "Pari tenu : réceptionné le 19 mars par Bouygues Immobilier et livré à son occupant dix jours plus tard, le nouveau siège de la SNCF est sorti de la gangue du grand ensemble de la gare Montparnasse, dans le 14e arrondissement de Paris, en quinze mois d'un chantier intense qui a mobilisé sur place jusqu'à 650 personnes. Quelque 800 postes de travail sont concernés sur les 2.500 qui gravitaient hier autour du siège historique de Saint-Lazare (9e arrondissement), consacrant la partition entre une direction générale resserrée et des services centraux pléthoriques."
- ^ "Plan d'accès." Agency for French Education Abroad. Retrieved on 10 June 2015. "Agence pour l'enseignement français à l'étranger (AEFE) 23, place de Catalogne 75 014 PARIS"
- ^ "IAU Secretariat." International Astronomical Union. Retrieved on 26 May 2011. "Address: IAU - UAI Secretariat 98-bis Blvd Arago F–75014 PARIS FRANCE" and "The IAU Secretariat is located in the Institut d'Astrophysique de Paris, 2nd floor, offices n°270, 271 and 283."