|Old Toronto Post Office / Old Bank of Canada|
10 Toronto Street
|Location||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Original use||Post office|
|Current use||Office building|
|Architect||Cumberland & Ridout|
|Architectural style(s)||Greek Revival|
The Toronto Street Post Office, also known as Toronto's Seventh Post Office, is a heritage building in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It was completed in 1853 and is located at 10 Toronto Street in downtown Toronto. The building was designed by Frederick William Cumberland and Thomas Ridout in the Greek Revival style.
It served as a post office until 1872 and as a government office building until 1937. It was then used by the Bank of Canada until 1959, when it became the head office of E. P. Taylor's Argus Corporation, which was subsequently controlled by Conrad Black. It was here that Conrad Black was taped removing boxes of documents from the office.
The building was sold to Morgan Meighen & Associates, an independent Canadian investment manager, in 2006 for CA$14 million. They were one of 200 bidders for the property, which sold for CA$1,800 per sq. foot, roughly three times the price of a typical building in downtown Toronto.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Toronto Street Post Office.|