|10th Infantry Division Piave|
10th Infantry Division Piave Insignia
|Country|| Regno d'Italia |
Kingdom of Italy
|Branch|| Regio Esercito |
Royal Italian Army
|Engagements||World War II|
|General Francesco Zingales|
General Ercole Roncaglia
|Piave Division collar insignia|
The 10th Infantry Division Piave was a Infantry Division of the Italian Army during World War II. It was formed from Abruzzi brigade in Padua in 1934 as territorial division and was converted to artillery-infantry auto-transportable division format in 1939, meaning staff and equipment could be transported on cars and trucks, although not simultaneously.
10 June 1940 the Piave division was mobilized for war in Padua-Vicenza-Treviso area, but did not participated in any hostilities. From 2 to 8 February 1941, it moved to Sicily and spread around Casteltermini, Canicattì, Aragona and Mussomeli. It was subordinated to the XII Army Corps that time. It received equipment in February, 1941 to change format to "motorized division". Piave division was sent to Yugoslavia as the Invasion of Yugoslavia started 27 March 1941, first to border province of Udine. Piave division has reached Pivka area by 16 April 1941, but returned to Liguria (between Savona and Genoa) in May, 1941, where it stayed until late October or early November, 1942. From 12 November 1942, the Piave division was sent to area between Saint-Tropez and Grimaud in France as part of Case Anton operation.
It returned to Italy 1–10 January 1943 and took part in the defence of southern approaches to Rome as part of the Corpo d'Armata Motocorazzato (CAM), first at Velletri-Sezze-Priverno area. the Piave division was transferred again and in August, 1943 has defended the area north of Rome around Via Cassia and Via Tiburtina. After armistice 8 September 1943, it received orders to be transferred to Palombara Sabina, but doing so it was ambushed by German detachment at Ponte del Grillo, north of Monterotondo. The Piave division has counterattacked and forced the German forces to Monterotondo. After negotiations with the German command, the Piave division was transferred under the control of municipal council of Rome, where it performed police duties until 23 September 1943, then Piave division was dissolved.