|Place of origin||Switzerland|
|Used by||Swiss Army|
|Bullet diameter||.415 in (10.5 mm)|
|Neck diameter||.437 in (11.1 mm)|
|Shoulder diameter||.518 in (13.2 mm)|
|Base diameter||.540 in (13.7 mm)|
|Rim diameter||.630 in (16.0 mm)|
|Case length||1.60 in (41 mm)|
|Overall length||2.20 in (56 mm)|
|Source(s): Barnes & Amber 1972|
In 1867, the Swiss military adopted the 10.4×38mm cartridge. As one of the few rimfire cartridges to see military service, the 313 grain bullet and 1,400 fps muzzle velocity was respectable compared to its contemporaries. The most popular arms chambered for this round were the Vetterli series of rifles. This type of round was also used in the 1867 Peabody. Adopted in 1869 along with the Vetterli turn-bolt rifle, it was discontinued, along with the rifle, in 1889. With a 334 gr (21.6 g; 0.76 oz) bullet, it is "barely adequate" for deer, and only at short range.
The original round's case was made from copper which held a round nosed lead bullet. In 1871 and 1878, the paper patch was improved, but ballistic performance was only marginally improved.
The round continued to be commercially available in the U.S. until 1942 with 310gr bullets loaded by Winchester(K4154R) and 300gr lead bullets loaded by Remington (R326).