Donuts Inc. is a domain name registrar and registry providing paid domain names under 270 new generic top-level domains (gTLDs), as made possible by ICANN's gTLD expansion program, as well as 173 other TLDs including .au (ccTLD) and .org (gTLD managed by the Public Interest Registry), through its own registry status (for example, managing the .social gTLD) and contracts between its subsidiaries and other registries.
It was co-founded in 2010 by Paul Stahura, Jonathon Nevett, Richard Tindal, and Daniel Schindler. The company's headquarters are located in Bellevue, Washington.
In July 2017, Donuts acquired Rightside, along with domain registrar Name.com.
On August 11, 2018, Donuts entered into an agreement to be acquired by private equity firm Abry Partners.
In December 2020, Donuts acquired the registry division of Afilias, Inc., a registry, registrar and mobile software developer headquartered outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
In January 2021, Donuts announced that Ethos Capital would be acquiring a controlling interest in the company.
Donuts is named after the company's heavy reliance on DNS. DNS brought to mind the word donuts (DoNutS), and Donuts was chosen as the company name.
- ^ a b "Donuts Inc.'s major play for new Web domain names raises eyebrows". washingtonpost.com. Retrieved September 24, 2012.
- ^ "Home". Donuts Inc. Retrieved February 3, 2021.
- ^ "The Cybersecurity 202: Internet domain names are ripe for scam during coronavirus crisis". washingtonpost.com. Retrieved September 8, 2020.
- ^ "Donuts raises $110M in financing to buy Rightside". geekwire.com. Retrieved June 14, 2017.
- ^ a b "Domain name company Donuts Inc. is gobbled up by private equity firm". bizjournals.com. Retrieved September 6, 2018.
- ^ "Donuts raises $110M in financing to buy Rightside". bizjournals.com. Retrieved August 10, 2017.
- ^ "Anguilla, with its domain name, cashes in on a quirky trend". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved February 4, 2020.
- ^ "Abry Partners Enters Into Agreement to Invest Majority Stake in Donuts Inc". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved August 8, 2019.
- ^ "Tropical Breezes, Pristine Beaches and a Domain Name to Die For". nytimes.com. Retrieved February 4, 2020.
- ^ "Donuts Acquires Afilias". afilias.info. Retrieved December 29, 2020.
- ^ "Donuts Inc.'s Acquisition Of Afilias, Inc". globallegalchronicle.com. Retrieved November 25, 2020.
- ^ "Donuts Inc. to Acquire Afilias, Inc. - Donuts News". donuts.news. Retrieved February 3, 2021.
- ^ "Ethos Capital to Acquire Controlling Interest of Donuts Inc. - Donuts News". donuts.news. Retrieved February 3, 2021.
- ^ "Ethos Capital To Acquire Controlling Interest of Donuts Inc". ethoscapital.com. Retrieved January 22, 2021.