|Place of origin||USA|
|Case type||Rimmed straight|
|Bullet diameter||.515 in (13.1 mm)|
|Neck diameter||.535 in (13.6 mm)|
|Base diameter||.565 in (14.4 mm)|
|Rim diameter||.660 in (16.8 mm)|
|Rim thickness||.065 in (1.7 mm)|
|Case length||1.75 in (44 mm)|
|Overall length||2.25 in (57 mm)|
|Primer type||Large rifle|
|Maximum pressure||22,500 psi (155 MPa)|
|Test barrel length: 28"|
Source(s): Accurate Powder 
The official designation of this cartridge at the time of introduction was "US center-fire metallic cartridge", and the commercial designation .50-70-450, standing for :
Reloaders have experimented with a variety of bullet weights from 425 to 600 grains (39 g). Additionally, the US Navy contracted with Remington to produce several thousand rolling-block carbines chambered for a reduced load version of this cartridge which was officially produced for use only in carbines. This reduced load cartridge used a shortened .50-70 with a 430-grain (28 g) bullet and 45 grains (2.9 g) of black powder.
The US Navy purchased Remington Rolling Block rifles chambered for the full size .50-70 cartridge. The US Army also ordered both rolling-block rifles and carbines in caliber .50-70 and made some rolling blocks at their Springfield Armory facility in this caliber. The US Army also had a large supply of percussion-fired Sharps carbines at the close of the Civil War and had the Sharps Rifle Company convert about 31,000 of those to caliber .50-70 for cavalry use. Meanwhile, the army, which had exited the Civil War with an inventory of almost a million percussion-fired muzzle loaders converted Springfield Model 1863 and Model 1864 muskets to metallic cartridge ammunition using the Allin conversion (trapdoor) method, as well as cadet rifles. The first of the .50-70 conversions was the Springfield Model 1866. Newer improved versions were made and used by the army through 1873. After 1873, with the advent of the 45-70 cartridge, the army declared the .50-70 to be surplus and while some rifles in .50-70 were issued to Indian scouts, the bulk were simply sold off as surplus. In the US Navy however, the 50-70 cartridge and the guns associated with it remained in use until the late 1880s.
Buffalo Bill Cody used a Springfield Model 1866 in caliber .50-70 while hunting buffalo to feed the track workers of the Kansas Pacific Railroad (later Union Pacific Eastern Division). General G. A. Custer was known to have had and used a sporterized rolling block in caliber .50-70 and was believed to have had it with him at the Battle of the Little Big Horn.
As army general Sheridan had embarked on a plan to eliminate the bison during the course of the American Indian Wars, the .50-70 rifles were also issued, or purchased, by buffalo hunters for use in eliminating the vast bison herds. Sharps began manufacturing sporterized rifles in .50-70 (and later .50-90, .50-110, etc.) and with improved sights for longer range shots for use by the buffalo hunters.
Modern-made functional replicas of caliber .50-70 historical rifles have been imported into the US by such firms as Davide Pedersoli and A. Uberti, Srl. (a Beretta subsidiary). The caliber of .50-70 still enjoys some use and popularity with sportsmen and cowboy action shooters.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to .50-70 Government.|