|• Total||10.88 km2 (4.20 sq mi)|
|Elevation||0.1 m (0.3 ft)|
|• Density||47/km2 (120/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The village was first mentioned between 1197 and 1212 as Verscvliet. The current name means "church of lord abbot", and refers to the abbot of the Westmonster monastery in Middelburg. The abbot was given land near the village in 1203 by Dirk VII, Count of Holland. 's-Heer Abtskerke is a church village which developed in the Middle Ages.
The Dutch Reformed church was built in the 14th century. The tower was added in the middle of the 14th century. The tower was restored in 1955, and the church was restored between 1964 and 1968. There is well for cattle on the cemetery.
In 1927, a joint railway station with 's-Gravenpolder opened on the Goes to Hoedekenskerke. It closed in 1947. 's-Heer Abtskerke remained a separate municipality until 1970 when it was merged into Borsele. The school of the village closed in 2014.