Awlam was incorporated into the Ottoman Empire in 1517, and by 1596 it was a village under the administration of the nahiya ("subdistrict") of Tiberias, part of the sanjak of Safad. The village had a population of 12 households and 3 bachelors, an estimated 83 persons, all Muslims. They paid a fixed tax-rate of 25% on wheat, barley, goats, and beehives, in addition to occasional revenues; a total of 3,409 Akçe.
In 1838 it was noted as a village, 'Aulam, in the Tiberias District.
In 1859 there were 120 souls in the village, and the cultivation was 14 feddans, according to the British consul Rogers. However, when Victor Guérin visited in 1875, he described the village as “abandoned”. He further noted;
“Ancient materials are plentiful there. I noticed in particular a number of column stumps and various fragments of sculptures coming from some building now destroyed. A church, converted later into a mosque, then into a stable, is quite well preserved. It had been built with alternately white and black stones, the former limestone, the latter basalt. On the lintel of the main entrance door one may observe, in the centre, a small circle, which formerly enclosed a cross, today completely effaced. Inside, some column shafts are lying on the ground, with their capitals broken.
In 1882, it was described as an agricultural village of 120, built of adobe bricks. The Ottomans built an elementary school in this time period.
A population list from about 1887 showed Aulam to have about 575 inhabitants; all Muslims.
In the 1922 census of Palestine, Ulam had a population of 496; 487 Muslims, 8 Jews and 1 Christian, where the one Christian was of the Orthodox faith. The population had increased to 555 in the 1931 census, all Muslims, in a total of 139 houses. The villagers cultivated grain, figs, grapes, and pomegranates. They drew their drinking and domestic water from six different springs.
By the 1945 statistics, the village population was 720 Muslims, and the total land area was 18,546 dunums of land. 360 dunams were irrigated or used for orchards, 11,139 used for cereals, while 28 dunams were classified as built-up (urban) land.
1948, and aftermath
During the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, Awlam's villagers were ordered to leave on April 6, 1948, by the Arab Higher Committee who feared they might aid "Zionist forces". But the Haganah states that its Golani Brigade entered the village on May 12, and the inhabitants fled upon their arrival. Awlam became the final village in the eastern Lower Galilee emptied of its Arab inhabitants. According to Walid Khalidi, "nothing remains of the village buildings except stone rubble; only a spring that was used by the villagers has been left unchanged".