( 'Ara Hebrew: עָרָה; Arabic: عاره) is a village in the Haifa District in northern Israel, located in the Wadi Ara valley. Since 1985, 'Ara has been part of the Ar'ara local council. It is located north of highway 65, between Ar'ara and Kfar Qara. Its population of 4,600 (as of 2004) is almost entirely Muslim.
History [ ]
Burial caves along with white
mosaic pavements have been excavated at the village.
Pottery remains from the Middle Bronze IIb and forward have been found here.
Some of the burial caves have been dated to the
Middle and Late Bronze Ages and the Roman era.  Byzantine lamps, glass vases and ceramics have also been found. 
A building from the
Umayyad era have been excavated in the village. It included many pottery objects and a glass jar, all from the same period.
Ottoman era [ ]
'Ara, like the rest of Palestine, was incorporated into the
Ottoman Empire in 1517, and in the census of 1596, the village appeared in the tax registers as being in the of Shara of the Nahiya of Liwa Lajjun. It had a population of 2 Muslim households and paid a fixed tax rate of 25% on wheat, barley, vines, and goats or beehives; a total of 1,800 akçe.
PEF's noted "traces of ruins on a prominent mound with a well." Survey of Western Palestine
British Mandate era [ ]
1922 census of Palestine conducted by the British Mandate authorities, ' Arah had a population 372, all Muslims
This had increased at the time of the
1931 census to 673 Muslims, in 115 occupied houses.
1945 statistics, 'Ara was counted with Ar'ara, together they had a population of 2,290 Muslims, of which 800 were in 'Ara. 
Israel [ ]
'Ara was merged with the neighboring
Ar'ara in 1985.
References [ ]
^ Palmer, 1881, p.
^ a b Dauphin, 1998, p. 748
^ Zertal, 2016, pp.
^ a b Massarwa, 2010,
^ Massarwa, 2010,
Khirbat ‘Ara Final Report
^ Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 159
^ Conder and Kitchener, 1882, p.
^ Barron, 1923, Table XI, Sub-district of Haifa, p.
^ Mills, 1932, p.
^ Department of Statistics, 1945, p.
^ Department of Statistics, 1945, p.
15 note A
Bibliography [ ]
Abu Hamid, Amani (2010-11-17). "Kh. 'Ara (South) Final Report" (122). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.
Barron, J.B., ed. (1923). . Government of Palestine. Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922
Conder, C.R.; Kitchener, H.H. (1882). . Vol. 2. London: The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
Dauphin, Claudine (1998). . BAR International Series 726 (in French). Vol. III : Catalogue. Oxford: Archeopress. La Palestine byzantine, Peuplement et Populations ISBN . 0-860549-05-4
Department of Statistics (1945). . Government of Palestine. Village Statistics, April, 1945
Hütteroth, Wolf-Dieter; Abdulfattah, Kamal (1977). . Erlanger Geographische Arbeiten, Sonderband 5. Erlangen, Germany: Vorstand der Fränkischen Geographischen Gesellschaft. Historical Geography of Palestine, Transjordan and Southern Syria in the Late 16th Century ISBN . 3-920405-41-2
Massarwa, Abdallah (2010-07-12). "Khirbat 'Ara" (122). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.
Massarwa, Abdallah (2010-10-03). "Khirbat 'Ara Final Report" (122). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.
Mills, E., ed. (1932). . Jerusalem: Government of Palestine. Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas
Palmer, E.H. (1881). . The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund. Zertal, A. (2016). . Vol. 3. Brill. The Manasseh Hill Country Survey: From Nahal ‘Iron to Nahal Shechem ISBN . 9004312307
External links [ ]