From today's featured article
" is the sixteenth episode of the fifth season
of the supernatural drama television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer
. Written and directed by series creator Joss Whedon
, it originally aired on The WB Television Network
in the United States on February 27, 2001. In the series, Buffy Summers
is a teenager chosen by mystical forces and endowed with superhuman powers to defeat vampires
, demons, and other evils in the fictional town of Sunnydale
. In "The Body", Buffy discovers the body of her mother, who has died of a brain aneurysm
. In the series Buffy and her friends deal with death every week, often in gruesome and fantastic ways, but in this episode they are bewildered by the natural death of Buffy's mother and struggle to comprehend what the loss means to them. Buffy must begin to face her life and her duties as the Slayer
without parental support and comfort. "The Body" is regarded by many critics as one of the best episodes of the series. (Full article...
Did you know ...
- ... that the first vehicle on New York City's Washington Bridge (pictured) crossed it without permission?
- ... that Dick Callahan received his first opportunity as a PA announcer after claiming that he announced all the games at his high school, even though he had actually never announced a game before?
- ... that the GPT-2 artificial intelligence can summarize, respond to, generate, and translate text, despite being trained to do nothing more than predict the next word in a sequence?
- ... that, after former president Abdurrahman Wahid, Rusdy Mastura was the second Indonesian public official to apologize for the mass killings of 1965–66?
- ... that the 1928 recording by Jimmie Rodgers of "Blue Yodel No. 1 (T for Texas)" influenced a line in Johnny Cash's song "Folsom Prison Blues"?
- ... that Samuel Pepys wrote of Royal Navy Commissioner Sir Thomas Hervey: "a coxcombe he is and will never be better in the business of the Navy"?
- ... that by 2001, almost 2000 Trees For Life volunteers were growing 1.5 million plants every year?
- ... that winners of the Kings Royal at Eldora Speedway, such as Shane Stewart, are given a scepter, robe, and crown, and pose on a throne in victory lane?